HD on Directv - future

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Naples1381

Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Ashland, Ma
Hello from Sunny - cold Massachusetts,

I have read a mountain of good information on D*, HDTV etc. I have Sony HD 42 LCD, SD Tivo from D*, H10/3LNB dish, OTA in the attic for the Boston channels (13 miles away on a 90Deg heading). Also have two other SD's boxes for SD TV's and
Comcast Basic cable ( least cost they offer).

The question I have is when to buy an HD DVR - D* or non D* ?
When should I upgrade to the 5LNB dish ? (considering the history of D* installers who don't like ladders and the 32LB weight of the dish).

When does the 3LNB dish go away (mpeg2 to mpeg4) ?
What is known of the D* Plans to deliver HD only - is that a plan or never (SD does not show that nice on an HDTV).

Trying to get a good picture of the future as all this junk costs money.

Thanks..

Welcome to the forums, Naples1381. :welcome
Naples1381 said:
The question I have is when to buy an HD DVR - D* or non D* ?
When should I upgrade to the 5LNB dish ? (considering the history of D* installers who don't like ladders and the 32LB weight of the dish).
What is known of the D* Plans to deliver HD only - is that a plan or never (SD does not show that nice on an HDTV).
Thanks..
Starting with your last comment: sounds like the wrong priorities to me. :) HD is never junk :D

You are asking the questions that each of us must ask ourselves, but I'll try to give you what insight I'm using in my decisionmaking process.

I get very good OTA HD from all the majors, so I'm very happy with my 3 HR10-250s (didn't want a basic HD receiver). I expect the HR10-250 will have good value for my OTA and basic SD off Directv for at least 3/4 years. I'm hoping that when D* moves all the HD to MPEG4, they will upgrade my equipment for free or very nearly so. If not, I'll wait until either they or I force the issue. (Like there is HD content I really, really want.)

I'm guessing you will find that the MPEG2 HR10-250 dvr's will be cheaper initially than the MPEG4 dvr when it comes out and more reliable for a few months. Then you'll be well positioned for a free or cheap upgrade when the time is right.

Good luck and Happy Holidays,
Tom

Naples1381 said:
Thanks..

The 3LNB dish as i heard should be phased out shortly

Directv will deliver in the format what the content providers provide them ;)
Not all channels will be HD anytime soon, some channels will still stay in SD,
but there is a chance that directv will convert the format of the channels to Mpeg4 SD in 2009 or whenever directv converts all of their 15 millions of customers to Mpeg4

Its a long long future ahead, stay tuned :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts