HD or HD-lite

gio164

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
I'm thinking of switching to cablevision from directv. Just wondering ig cablevision is HD or HD-lite.

Thanks

Cablevision doesn't down-res or screw with the bit rate. In my opinion it is excellent HD. (disclaimer: I work for the comp, but I criticize them) We haven't had a new HD channel in a while so I'm hoping for some news in regards to channels like Discovery HD much like everyone else. The selection right now isn't bad though.

I heard they are removing analog channels like Fit TV and some PPV channels. Does this mean they will be adding some new HD channels any time soon ? They certainly will now have the space for them.

Lucky said:
I heard they are removing analog channels like Fit TV and some PPV channels. Does this mean they will be adding some new HD channels any time soon ? They certainly will now have the space for them.
I do hope so.. I just recently switched back to cablevision from Directv. The HD Picture quality is Much better that D* so I seriously doubt it is downressed (I kept Directv for 1 week after CV was installed and UHD looked much better on CV)

I currently get All the Locals in HD (except the soon defunct UPN) Also I get UHD, Starz-HD, Cinemax-HD, TMC-HD, Showtime-HD and HBO-HD.

The best part about CV is HD-Sports, I now get all 3 RSN NY area Hocky Teams home games in HD and Also the Knicks as well. PLUS CV Does carry YES-HD so I get The Nets and Yankees in HD. Plus we also get ESPN-HD!!

I do Not miss Directv HD at all (Except for Discovery-HD and Tivo)

Im Hoping we Get INHD2 and Discovery-HD real soon :) and maybe NGC-HD
These additions would make CV by far the Best!!

I am going to take the bait again> I had the triple pack (io,internet and telephone) about 2 years ago and when the $99 promo was over I switched back to D* because the analog cable channels were unwatchable on anything bigger than a 13" kitchen TV.
I got a letter from C* offering me the promo again and even with the maxed out package with the hd dvr it will be saving me almost 100 a month over my current D* bill and my internet/phone bill. I asked if the analog channels were still being used and they advised me that ALL the channels now are digital. One of my neighbours also told me that a letter went out from c* advising them that after March 2006 analog is no longer supported.
True I will pay 15 a mo for the dvr service and the box but Ialso asked what hd dvr it was and they supply SA 8300 HD dvrs, dual tuner the whole deal, same as my D* non-hd dvr. Except non-tivo. Beats paying D* $600 and waiting for a $200 rebate!
How does the dvr service from C* compare to tivo?

jmastanduno said:
I asked if the analog channels were still being used and they advised me that ALL the channels now are digital. One of my neighbours also told me that a letter went out from c* advising them that after March 2006 analog is no longer supported.
Where are you located, because this is simply not true for most of the cvc area, all locals and family channels are still analog. The letter they received was probable for the premium channels

hbk409 said:
jmastanduno said:
I asked if the analog channels were still being used and they advised me that ALL the channels now are digital. One of my neighbours also told me that a letter went out from c* advising them that after March 2006 analog is no longer supported.
Where are you located, because this is simply not true for most of the cvc area, all locals and family channels are still analog. The letter they received was probable for the premium channels

In NYC all channels have been in digital for a while and most channels are scrambled so you will need a box regardless. I don't htink they will dump analogs for locals until they absolutly have to though. Perhaps that letter was saying they will simulcast in digtal not completely turn of analog channels.

Sorry for not responding so quick.
I live in North NJ (not my fault!!!!!) about 20 mi from the g-dub.
I wouldnt do it if the "under 100" channels (what do we call these??) werent digital. That is why i went back to SAT after the original 1 year pricing promo expired.
I specifically asked and was specifically advised that these channels are now all digital. Plus I was spending 125/mo on SAT and my VOIP/broadband was 83/mo. Thats 208/mo. Adding the Gold io package with the HD DVR will cost me about 65-70 le$$ per month. AND I will get HD channels which I dont even have now because of the 600 D* hd DVD cost

PS>>>>>>>
Also if I find out that I was misled I will march myself down to my neighbourhood cablevision office with the converters under my arm, go back into the attic and reconnect the multi switch to all the room feeds. When they do the cable install I am not going to let them screw with any cabling up to the multiswitch, ensuring a easy re=transition if the PQ is pisspoor

jmastanduno said:
PS>>>>>>>
Also if I find out that I was misled I will march myself down to my neighbourhood cablevision office with the converters under my arm, go back into the attic and reconnect the multi switch to all the room feeds. When they do the cable install I am not going to let them screw with any cabling up to the multiswitch, ensuring a easy re=transition if the PQ is pisspoor

Ask for an experienced installer or MGR. they do have them..I had 3 guys show up last year.Very good install.BUT still waiting for DISCOVERY HD and more--i think as i did when i last posted here they are out of SPACE unless they tinker

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts