HD OTA recording only

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hey all! Long time no FTA lurking!

I went the Tivo route (2x Series 3s + a TivoHD) for my OTA needs and they do the job great, as they should for the money.

The EchoStar TR-50 is due out any time now and seems like a good fit for your needs.

Hey all! Long time no FTA lurking!
. . .
The EchoStar TR-50 is due out any time now and seems like a good fit for your needs.
Good to have ya back ! - :up

At the time I started the thread, the TR50 was just another hollow promise, much like the Fortec Passion.
And until it's here , debugged, and available from various dealers, it's a big zero.
I was in hopes that something was on the market at the time which would satisfy my needs.

Also, Dish/Echostar seems to be in the pocket of the providers, and I don't trust their disk format would be useful for making DVDs.
On the other hand, any FTA receiver should be useable in that regard.

Let's hope history proves me wrong! - :rolleyes:

my diamond worked great for recording my wife shows in HD yesterday. Freaked me out though. 1hr HD = 160GB. dang. it was all from OTA and looks fantastic!! well worth every penny of the $100 the box cost me.

I thought HD was 6gb an hour. 160gb wow!

Since Panarex claimed they had no "resource information on ota channel EPG" I emailed them back with a link to this book:

Amazon.com: PSIP: Program & System Information Protocol: Mark Eyer: Books

"Making digital and interactive television work depends up on the ATSC’s new PSIP standard. This book, written by one of the standard’s primary architects, annotates and explains the complex standard document, breaking it down into practical, usable checklists and methods for broadcast, cable, satellite, and product design."

more psip infomation:
http://www.dtvinnovations.com/pdf/PSIP ATSC.pdf
http://www.bitrouter.com/pdf/tutorial-psip.pdf

A ota guide should not be that difficult to implement. All they would really have to do is write software that extracts the guide data and puts it in a table. They would be the only fta receiver on the market with a ota guide if they could accomplish that.

I suggest everyone who has a pansat 9200 email Panarex and request that they implement a guide for OTA. Maybe if enough people request it they will add the feature.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)