HD OTA Recpetion

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ejdowden

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
I live in Chapel Hill, NC and have a HR10 and a H20 with the 5 LNB Dish. With the H20 I can get OTA locals from both Raleigh-Durham and Greensboro with no pixelation in any weather. Until last month, I could get the Raleigh-Durham locals on the HR10 with no pixelation in any weather. Ever since the HR10 software upgrade my OTA reception on the HR10 has been terrible. The H20 is still great so I know my OTA antenna is still fine. I am thinking about upgrading my HR10 to the HR20 do you all think my OTA recpetion will improve? Will it be as good as the H20?

The HR20 is better than the HR10 but not as good as the H20. And remember both the HR10 and HR20 have two tuners and the signal is split between them. Sometimes an antenna preamp or a "signal booster" will overcome the effects of the split.

The HR20 is better than the HR10 but not as good as the H20. And remember both the HR10 and HR20 have two tuners and the signal is split between them. Sometimes an antenna preamp or a "signal booster" will overcome the effects of the split.

Thanks for the info. You mention a pre amp or signal booster. My external antenna is a Winguard Squareshooter 2000 which came with a amp. Can I add another one in or replace the one that came with the square shooter. I'm not sure how this works.

No, you should really only use one amplifier. You may have some marginal stations and maybe need an upgrade on your antenna. What's your zip code??

Looks like you should receive NBC, CBS, FOX and ABC Geensboro ok with that antenna. PBS is in a different direction so may be marginal, CW is just a weaker signal. Getting stable signals from Raleigh-Durham looks difficult with the antenna you have, the HR20 has a great tuner so is able to pull them in. What signal strength do you get on the H20 for stations that you can't get on the HR10??

You may be getting multipath, if so you can often improve the signal by slight adjustment of antenna direction.

The HR-20 has a much better tuner in it than the HR10., the HR10 has been lacking since it came out, not to many have been happy with the OTA tuner in the HR10

Jimbo

The H20 seems to produce a consistent 15-20% higher signal strength on all channels across the board.

PBS is a different story I use have to use rabbit ears for it since I am 5 miles from the tower. The Winguard is too powerful for it.

Like I said earlier, Used to get things fine on the HR10 but since the software upgrade the signals are lower and my DVR reboots at least once a day. I called D* and they willupgrade me to the HR20 for $199. Is this a good deal or do you think I can do better? Not sure if this matters but I am a "A List Customer"

I called D* and they willupgrade me to the HR20 for $199. Is this a good deal or do you think I can do better? Not sure if this matters but I am a "A List Customer"

Thats what I paid for it, I felt that was a good and fair deal, they were going for $ 399 at the time.
I do not and never will expect to get equipment for FREE, perticularly a brand new on the market unit.

Jimbo

Thanks for the info. You mention a pre amp or signal booster. My external antenna is a Winguard Squareshooter 2000 which came with a amp. Can I add another one in or replace the one that came with the square shooter. I'm not sure how this works.

I've got the same antenna/amp in Wake Forest, and a HR20. I have never connected the amp, and I only aligned the antenna by my eye with the map from antennaweb.org (no instruments and no fine-tuning of the alignment). My reception is excellent. If your H20 gets Raleigh stations with the squareshooter/amp, you shouldn't have any trouble replacing your HR10 with the HR20.

If for some reason the signal with squareshooter + amp is too weak, the next step would be a bigger antenna rather than trying a different amp. But honestly, if what you have now is very good with the H20, then it will probably suffice for the HR20.

Last edited:
Thanks jpn, reception similar to what I get on the H20 is what I am hoping for. I ordered the HR20 from D* yesterday. I am set to get it Feb. 5.

Thanks jpn, reception similar to what I get on the H20 is what I am hoping for. I ordered the HR20 from D* yesterday. I am set to get it Feb. 5.

I have an H20-600, an HR10 and an HR20. The HR20 is better OTA than the HR10 but it is DEFINITELY not as good as the H20.

I have an H20-600, an HR10 and an HR20. The HR20 is better OTA than the HR10 but it is DEFINITELY not as good as the H20.

And I don't doubt you one bit. But the fact remains: he's got a squareshooter + amp, which might suffice; but if it's not then the next step is a bigger OTA antenna (not a bigger amp).

I completely agree, that's what I said a few posts ago.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts