HD OTA w/Dish BOX?

david in texas

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
Hello,

I am a current Dish subscriber in the Dallas market. I said that only because Dish does not yet offer locals in my area.

I was told that I could purchase a HD-OTA and plug it into the back of my Dish box, and then antenna signal would then pass through the box and show up on the program guide. FWIW My Dish box is a 510 (DVR)

Can anyone here confirm if that will work? Furthermore if the above does work, will the DVR work on the OTA channels coming through the box?

Thanks
David

No, it wont work. You need an HD receiver (942, 921, 622, 811, 211) in order to tune in digital OTA stations.

StevenD said:
No, it wont work. You need an HD receiver (942, 921, 622, 811, 211) in order to tune in digital OTA stations.

Then riddle me this............

With the HD receiver and the OTA will I be able to pause and record the local channels I'm getting from the antenna?

Any idea how much Dish is charging for a HD receiver at this time?

Thanks
David

trafter said:
$299 for the upgrade and an 18 month commitment with a $6 lease fee per month. Happy trails!

Thanks!

And per Dish a $20+/- HD access fee!!

I sure hope I'm not the only one being nickeled and dimed to death by Dish. But that's for another thread.

Top180
HBO
Dual Tuner DVR
510 DVR
301 (?)

Damn near 100.00 a month with all the fees involved for the above (lease fees, DVR fees, etc)!!

david in texas said:
Then riddle me this............

With the HD receiver and the OTA will I be able to pause and record the local channels I'm getting from the antenna?

Any idea how much Dish is charging for a HD receiver at this time?

Thanks
David

Yep - exactly what you can do! With my DVR 942, I can do everything with the OTA Local HD channels that I can with the Sat channels :D - pause live TV, record the locals. And since there is 2 Sat tuners & 1 OTA tuner, I can record 3 things at once (even 3 HD programs at once - one from OTA locals & 2 from Sat HD channels).

Cold Irons said:
Yep - exactly what you can do! With my DVR 942, I can do everything with the OTA Local HD channels that I can with the Sat channels :D - pause live TV, record the locals. And since there is 2 Sat tuners & 1 OTA tuner, I can record 3 things at once (even 3 HD programs at once - one from OTA locals & 2 from Sat HD channels).

Thanks Cold Irons. That's good to know.

I got my HD/OTA hooked up last night and I must say, WOW! It looks great on my Samsung DLP.

Last question (I think).

When I get the 622 I will hook up the OTA to the back of it as I said above for the purpose of getting the local channels. With that said, when Dish finally offers locals in my area is it safe to assume the OTA will still work? I am asking because I understand that DISH downgrades the signal so I would rather use the OTA for the locals. I can't cancel the locals as they are needed on other TV's in the house.

Thanks all!
David

OTA will still work just fine when your satellite HD locals are added. The only bad thing about using the OTA on the 622 is you can only view or record 1 OTA channel at a time (you can still view or record 2 satellite channels at the same time though).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)