HD Package Charge

Status
Please reply by conversation.

amp16751

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
I am in one of those markets that will not be upgraded to receive local HD programming until probably sometime in 2007. I am curious to know if those of you that have been upgraded and are now receiving HD local programming through DirecTV pay the same $9.99 charge as the rest of us that do not have it?

I'm assuming that we are all paying the same $9.99 monthly charge. as I have not seen anything to the contrary. If that is the case, it seems unfair for those of us that will not be able to benefit from local HD broadcasts for quite a while having to pay the same price as those that are already receiving it.

shappyss said:
i believe that HD locals are free if you subscribe to the SD locals, and are not part of the 9.99 HD pack

While this may be true, one cannot get HD programming without an HD receiver and pay $9.99/mo. Right?

I am paying $9.99/mo for HD programming along with everyone else who subscribes to this service for which, in my case, I get 7 channels (8 if you want to include CD USA) in this format. My gripe is that I am required to pay the same price as those who are fortunate enough to receive local broadcasts which amounts to several additional channels.

I am not suggesting that those who have local HD programming pay more than $9.99. What I believe would be fair is that the monthly charge is reduced for those who do not get the benefit of the full service.

I never complained when for a few years before I was able to receive local SD channel broadcasts in my area I had to pay the cable company the basic charge to receive this programming. I was still however able to receive 100+ other channels through D*. This is different.

The locals SD & HD has nothing to do with the $9.99 / mo charge. That is for the HD pack only.

The HD locals, if available, are included along with your SD locals, and within the same pricing of the TC+ and TCP.

If local channels are not available in your area, you can still get TC programming for $3 less than the listed prices and/or may be able to get DNS for a fee.

I had the HD receiver and did not pay the 10.99 (at the time) for their HD package.
So why did I buy the H10 then..well my old sony receiver bit the dust and I bought
the H10 for $ 99.99 so I can pick up locals in HD.

Then drop the HD package and stop paying the $9.99 a month, you don't need to pay for the package to keep an HD receiver subbed for other programming...

Last edited:
This reminds me of a story Milton Freeman tells about the railroads in the late 1800's.
The fare from Detroit to Chicago was $7. The competition was stiff and the trips were always sold out. The fare to Toledo from Detroit was $10, a side trip with little competition.
Some said it was not fair, the went to the government and as the government usually does they formed a regulatory board.

The decision made it fair, $10 from Detroit to Toledo and $25 to Chicago.

Who will benefit when we have to pay an extra five dollars for our HD locals.

Channels I actually watch

Right you are Colofan, I would like al a carte across the board so that I could pay for the channels that I actually watch but I don't think that will ever happen, that would be too much like "Fair", and the satellite and cable game is not about fair, it is about selling you a package of channels, most of which you will never watch, in order for you to be able to purchase the channels that you really want("How to become a Billionaire, by any means possible 101"). There was a company called USSB, in the beginning, which you could purchase all the movie channels, without the price of all the added on packages that D* charges for. D* caught on to that and bought USSB out....thus, new rule....if you want all the good movie channels(HBO, SHO, MAX, STRZ), you must, first, purchase 150 of their channels(most of which you will never watch), in their package, before you are allowed to purchase the movie channels.....As they said in the movie "The Godfather"......It's Just Business.

colofan said:
Give me al a carte across the board then I will pay for the channels I actually use...That would be the day.

They have "al a carte" with C-Band subscriptions and many times you take the services you want "al a carte" and it ends up costing you as much as taking the entire package. On a per channel basis, when you purchase a channel "al a carte", it costs more for it, than it does when purchased in a package plan.

Example: The entire C-Band digital package is $99.99, for around 24 channels. If you want "al a carte" for just CourTV and the MTV channels it will cost you $83.00, which is 6 channels.

Well maybe a la carte is more expensive but some channels would fall off for lack of viewing money coming from D*. See my goal is to point out that quality is more important than quanitity which the D* ,E* and cable poeple just don't understand. Oh and yes even OTA could be affected directly if you could select just the channels you want.

There is no feedback loop other than the ratings on who is truly watching what. After all sport subs and movie channels work this way why not the rest of them?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts