HD PBS

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lunamama

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
NorCal
I was pleasantly surprised to see our PBS in HD today. I wasn't even expecting it for our area. Happy happy, joy joy. :)

I looked on another forum and these are the ones that were turned on this past week:

Channels Now Available
5256 KIXE (9 HD Local) REDDING, CA (PBS) 129° 5s16 (North California) HD Chico/Redding, CA market Hidden - AVAILABLE
5256 KCOS (13 HD Local) PHOENIX, AZ 129° 11s46 (West Texas) HD El Paso, TX market Hidden - AVAILABLE
5256 WQLN (54 HD Local) ERIE, PA (PBS) 129° 3s25 (East Ohio) HD Erie, PA market Hidden - AVAILABLE
5174 UNCTV (31 HD Local) WILMINGTON, NC (PBS) 61.5° 9s8 (Charleston) HD Florence, SC market Hidden - AVAILABLE
5256 KAFT (13 HD Local) FAYETTEVILLE, AR (PBS) 129° 3s37 (Arkansas) HD Fort Smith, AR market Hidden - AVAILABLE
5194 UNCTV (26 HD Local) WILMINGTON, NC (PBS) 61.5° 9s8 (Charleston) HD Greensboro/Winston Salem, NC market Hidden - AVAILABLE
5195 UNCTV (33 HD Local) WILMINGTON, NC (PBS) 61.5° 1s6 (Atlanta) HD Greenville/Spartanburg, SC market Hidden - AVAILABLE
5154 WMPN (29 HD Local) JACKSON, MS (PBS) 61.5° 1s12 (New Orleans) HD Jackson, MS market Hidden - AVAILABLE
5266 KSYS (8 HD Local) MEDFORD, OR (PBS) 129° 16s10 (Central Oregon) HD Medford, OR market Hidden - AVAILABLE
6409 WLRN (17 HD Local) MIAMI, FL (PBS) 129° 2s54 (South Florida) HD Miami, FL market Hidden - AVAILABLE
5278 WLAE (32 HD Local) NEW ORLEANS, LA (PBS) 129° 10s50 (SE Louisiana) HD New Orleans, LA market Hidden - AVAILABLE
5184 UNCTV (2 HD Local) WILMINGTON, NC (PBS) 129° 1s40 (East Virginia) HD Norfolk, VA market Hidden - AVAILABLE
5184 UNCTV (2 HD Local) WILMINGTON, NC (PBS) 61.5° 3s5 (Raleigh) HD Norfolk, VA market Hidden - AVAILABLE
5175 WQEC (22 HD Local) QUINCY, IL (PBS) 61.5° 1s14 (St Louis) HD Quincy, IL/Hannibal, MO market Hidden - AVAILABLE
6469 UNCTV (4 HD Local) WILMINGTON, NC (PBS) 129° 1s40 (East Virginia) HD Raleigh/Durham, NC market Hidden - AVAILABLE
6469 UNCTV (4 HD Local) WILMINGTON, NC (PBS) 61.5° 3s5 (Raleigh) HD Raleigh/Durham, NC market Hidden - AVAILABLE
6493 UNCTV (4 HD Local) WILMINGTON, NC (PBS) added to 129° 7s39 (North Carolina) HD Charlotte, NC market Hidden - AVAILABLE
6493 UNCTV (4 HD Local) WILMINGTON, NC (PBS) added to 61.5° 11s8 (Charleston) HD Charlotte, NC market Hidden - AVAILABLE

5278 WLAE (32 HD Local) NEW ORLEANS, LA (PBS) 129° 10s50 (SE Louisiana) HD New Orleans, LA market Hidden - AVAILABLE

I had no idea that WLAE was in HD. Now if they can get WYES (Primary PBS Station), WPXL(Ion) and WUPL (MyNetwork) in HD too then I would love Dish forever.

I had no idea that WLAE was in HD. Now if they can get WYES (Primary PBS Station), WPXL(Ion) and WUPL (MyNetwork) in HD too then I would love Dish forever.
Yes, it is surprising that WYES was not the PBS in HD. However, WYES is 720p, and WLAE is 1080i. What is also interesting is that WLAE is half owned by Louisiana Educational Television Authority (operators of LPB) and half owned by an organization that is Catholic-related. I believe there were some issues a while back about WLAE airing the morning mass although they have been airing it since the '80s.
Also, DirecTV has both WYES and WLAE in HD. The programming on WYES HD (12.1) is different than the programming on WYES SD (which seems to be carried on 12.2).
DirecTV does have WUPL in HD as well. Dish was actually ahead of DirecTV in terms of New Orleans locals in HD; now, it seems to be the opposite (due to WYES HD and WUPL HD).
There has been some speculation that Belo and Dish may be in a dispute soon, and it may even be possible that WWL and WUPL may be taken off from what I read. That would surprise me since WWL seems to be a very popular CBS affiliate.
I should also point out that DirecTV does not carry WHNO 20; I only really watch the old TV shows on there, though.
It would be nice to have WPXL in HD; I saw it OTA. It looks nice when they show HD programming. However, the subchannels for ION seem to play more than paid programming (surprisingly),

Last edited:
ANY NEWS ON WHEN THE REST OF THE PBS-HD CHANNELS COMING?IM WAITING FOR KETC IN MY AREA..THANK YOU FOR ANY REPLIES...THANK YOU FOR ANY REPLIES

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)