HD percentage

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
DISH doesn't put out those numbers for obvious reasons made only to them. My bet is that it can't be that many or they would be pushing hd channels up on the sat and compressing the sd channels like crazy. But when the majority still have mpeg 2 sd receivers , why piss off those subs to make the few hd subs happy?

I think DISH has a LOT of grandmas, joe averages, etc. Everyone I know with E* (with one exception) has no remote intention to go HD anytime soon. Most of them don't even intend to replace their 27" or smaller TVs in the future.

My DISH installer said he does very, very few HD installs. Most of the installs he says are people with SDTV's switching to the bundled AT&T product.

I'm pretty sure SD is here to stay for awhile.

Id say around 30%. Hd is where the future is and where the money is. Networks are scrambling to get it's network in hd and providers are scrambling to add them. Well most of them.:rolleyes:

Networks are scrambling to get it's network in hd and providers are scrambling to add them. Well most of them.:rolleyes:
LOL! HD transition will go down in history as one of the greatest foot dragging, procrastinated technologies of all time. Only 25 years in the making.:rolleyes:

Assuming it is 15%, you'd think E* would be rushing to get new HD to the air then, especially given that D* adds HD weekly and now our local cable company has the same HD channels minus Voom. If even 1/3 of those with HD left for other options because E* is falling behind, no company wants to drop 5%. Also figure that anybody upgrading to HD at this point would automatically be drawn to D*. With a 15% figure, they are hemorrhaging money at a clip they can't afford. If the figure was 5% or less, they could let it ride for a while and not lose much.

D* was behind in HD for years, and they do not seem to have lost many customers over it.

Dish can only add what they have space for. After the next satellites go up, they'll have more space. The delays in those launches are no doubt hurting the company, but there's not much they can do about it.

HD has exceeded critical mass and that's is where the growth is as I don't envision much in the way of new SD channels popping up. I'm certain D* & E* are aware of this so they have considerable incentive to get as many HD channels on their systems as possible.
D* lagged behing E* in the past but obviously didn't suffer due to HD not having the traction is currently has.
However, today's reality is that E* cannot afford to lag behind D* for too long. We are fast approaching the time (1 year, maybe 2) when virtually everything will be in HD.

Id say around 30%. Hd is where the future is and where the money is. Networks are scrambling to get it's network in hd and providers are scrambling to add them. Well most of them.:rolleyes:

Are you kidding? 30% is way too high. Most people I know are always asking me what's the cheapest SD package out there and they have HDTVs. :eek: So even if the HDTVs sales have increased in the last year, most people don't really care about paying more for HD.

D* was behind in HD for years, and they do not seem to have lost many customers over it.

The difference here is that D* is adding HD at the time when HD is exploding. E* led the race when nobody was watching. With the "all digital by 2009" threat being pushed hard by TV manufacturers, the majority of people who are buying a new TV now are buying HDTV's, especially with the price of 720p sets falling to under $500 in some cases for 32" sets. Even Wal-Mart has pulled the plug on SD sets!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)