HD plasma without DVI or HDMI

stevej27

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
I have the VOOM STB and getting great HIDEF through my Pioneer PRO 1000 HD but through component video This model was several month earlier now the newer one have DVI or HDMI....I heard that when the DVR come out i can record HD but will playback downrezzed to 480 because It lacks the DVI...Can anyone shed some light on this i dont understand why i presently seeing high def 1080 720 etc...but if i get the DVR when available ill see HIDEF but when recorded playback will be downrezzed......Now i feel stranded because i should of waited a little while to get the same model with DVI...I am pissed off at Pioneer for not informing the consumers who bought these models.. and now paying the price for buying these Plasma too early...What information can anyone give whether this is fact or fiction ....any help appreciated

I see no reason why the DVR would output down-rezzed video to your tv through the component out. I think that you are confusing people who are currently using a DVR to record Voom. They are SD models, so when they record the current signal they are recording down-rezzed HD.

I think you are referring to what the movie studios are trying the force the FCC to enforce. Basically unless your tv has DVI or HDMI your would get a down rezzed picture. If the studios and content providers succeed thousands of people with older HD model (a significant investment) would be SOL.

If providers (cable, sat, etc) are forced to downrez by the FCC, then and only then should you have the problems you describe, although I believe the dvr would still record at max resolution, they component outputs would be limited.

Do a quick search on google for more details. Also you may want to do what many already have and contact the FCC and your reps about this issue and express your outrage over being left behind because they are taking so long to get their act together.

Thanks for the response......If this is true then thousands of us early HD adopters are screwed......also VOOM is screwed because I, and many others have no insentive to upgrade to their new DVR......its their loss in the end.

It's not the fault of VOOM or any other sat provider its the damn media giants like Sony, Disney and the big 3 networks. Although I don't think there has been a definitive decision yet..

zombie said:
It's not the fault of VOOM or any other sat provider its the damn media giants like Sony, Disney and the big 3 networks. Although I don't think there has been a definitive decision yet..

i understand but VOOM might be manipulated by the content providers to follow their methods.

Thanks for the follow up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)