DVI or Component?

mark319

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Just got VOOM and a brand new 56" Philips HDTV. I used the DVI cable to connect and the picture doesnt look all that great. If I switch to the component inputs will I get a better picture? Also how do I see which software version is on my box?

TIA!

Try both? DVI looks best on my Sony, but I tweaked the DVI input to look best when I tuned my TV.

Mark319--welcome to the forum. Be sure to check out the Voom Important Information and FAQ forum. It has lots of answers to just about any question you might have on equipment. Here is the answer on how to determine what version of the software you have:

Which software version do I have?
There are several ways to check your STB software version. Here is the simplest one. On your VOOM remote, press “Help” and then “Info”. You should see three lines of version info. The last line should look like this: “Nep:610”, where 610 is the software version. Currently, 610 is the latest released version. It is also referred to as “HAL 00.06.10” or as "Software Version 1.10". If the Help-Info sequence doesn’t work for you, you might have an older version. Try this sequence instead: press “VOOM” button followed by “Info”. You should see a similar Version Info screen. The following five versions have been officially released:
00.06.10 (nep: 600, aka Software Version 1.10) - Released on July 27, 2004
00.06.00 (nep: 600, aka Software Version 1.04) - Shipped with some new STBs in July, 2004
00.05.68 (nep: 568) - April 2, 2004
00.05.5c (Nep: 55c) - March 22, 2004
00.05.08 (Nep: 508) - October (?) 2003

Regarding DVI vs. Component. Try both. They are active at the same time, so you can easily compare between the two. For me, component is good, but DVI is better. Many people have posted that the component connection shows truer color, but DVI shows better detail. Pick whichever one looks better to you.

You will need to also to set your Voom box to the native resolution to your TV set. In addition I would also use DVE to adjust TV settings for each type of connection. Manufacturer settings are always off.

As for me I am using component cables with my Voom and DVI with my Bravo D2 DVD player.

Mark

Welcome to the community.

Experiences between DVI and Component connections will vary depending on the TV and how the TV is setup in both the user and service menus.

I own the non XBR version of the Sony GWIII (rear projection LCD) and use a Accupel HD signal generator that has both DVI and component outputs to adjust color, color decoders, etc. On this TV, both inputs when tweaked out, will look the same. It did take different service menu adjustments to made the picture identical on both inputs.

In the future, its very likely that HD signals will be limited to the DVI input as it offer copy protection for the content providers that the component input doesn't. If you're picture is the same between inputs, then you're better off in the long run using DVI.

I am using monster component cables, they seem to be putting out a cleaner and brighter picture than the dvi cable was.. I have a hitachi 57" F500a HDTV.. Anyone else have a hitachi?? If so i would love to hear what cables are giving you a better picture..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts