HD Poll - When will we see additional HD channels?

When will we see new HD channels added to Dish Network?

• Friday 1/4

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • Monday 1/7 for CES

Votes: 42 13.4%
  • Wednesday 1/9

Votes: 35 11.2%
  • Early February

Votes: 70 22.4%
  • End of 1st Quarter

Votes: 38 12.1%
  • Not until new satellites are launched

Votes: 119 38.0%

• Total voters
Thats just what every Dishnetwork Customer wants.

WHAT is "just what every Dishnetwork customer wants"?

So you agree No new HD untill Satellite launch.

What part of my statement led you to infer that?

Because E* has SD and foreign service to launch with what he has left.and maybe 1 city with 1or2 HD locals on it. Great we'll be looking forward to that.:up:rolleyes:

Huh? :confused:

All I'm saying is that there is NOTHING to indicate whether or not Charlie is interested in keeping up with D* as regards national HD. My belief is he probably has some capacity to add a couple now, if he felt it was a priority to do so, but he may not. And the fact that new satellites are launching in no way implies that he has made new national HD a priority. He MAY or MAY not feel that way. He ALSO has at least one older satellite to replace and has other possible uses for the new birds. Almost certainly we'll get a few new national HDs, but it's not clear what subscribers can expect beyond that.

Last edited:
I'm not clear on this: are you saying Charlie WANTS to add new national HD or that he DOESN'T want to?

. Well we can start with additional HD LIL, non-HD LIL, SD, lease it, use it for foreign service, use it for business services or decide not to give the national HD providers whatever they want and just leave it empty. Enough for you?
Here's where you stated your opinion on what E* will do with is space,"If they even have any" I don't see anything that says National HD . So thats why I said you agree.And if Charlie isn't interested in staying competetive with D* ,then he needs to get out of the satellite business. When you only have 2 satellite providers you better make damn well sure you can offer the same value in packages.I can name 2 things E* has that D*don't, More Premiums and more fees. If you think for a second Charlie has no interest in HD TV then you are on crack,HD tv is one of the fastest growing markets in the world. whats charlie going to offer its customers in return if not HD? DVR? Doubt that. They'll be lucky if they can even provide DVR to customers in a few years or less.IMO if your a satellite provider with Share holders HD tv is what the company NEEDs to invest in. Not HD PPV either!!

Last edited:
What you're saying is not unreasonable, except that Charlie's objective is to be profitable, not necessarily compete channel for channel with D* or anyone else.

Remember, not everyone is like we are, looking for the latest and greatest HD channels. Charlie has had a history of touting E* as a "value alternative". So he may decide to concentrate on price and marketing to subscribers who don't have HD or who just got HD sets and add HD channels after they've matured and the price goes down. His announced "single-dish" solution may speak more to his intentions than anything else.

You think Charlie HAS to compete with D* by making an "HD push" when he has the capacity. I don't know if he will or not, but I don't see any reason why he can't just add HD channels every once and a while as they mature and the price comes down. He certainly hasn't imitated D*'s HD announcement blitz, but that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't interested.

I would prefer certainty to uncertainty. I KNOW what D* has, I DON'T know what Charlie will have, I don't even have any announcements from him to guide me.

We'll see what happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts