HD quality of thursdays espn game on Dish

ww2154

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
The quality of the espn game South Carolina vs Miss. State was terrible. I could hardly tell it was hd. Hd is getting worse and worse, it not worth having any more. You pay for hd but do not get it.

I disagree 100%. I watched it and it looked great. Not sure what you are seeing there.

I am 100% with you man.We pay from equipment to astronomical hd programming fee and end up with so called soft hd, its not fair.

The game he was talking about was on ESPNHD, which is shown at its correct resolution (720p).

I watched about half of the game and thought it was pretty soft. The true HD demo that I've seen the most of was a football game. The level of detail was amazing, you could see the individual blades of grass, the texture of the fabric on uniforms, and amazing facial detail. This game sorely lacked all of these features. The grass was more like SD's uniform texture ping pong table, although there was a bit of detail. The names and numbers on the uniforms had good edges, but again the fabric detail was lacking.

A great quality HD football game can feel almost surrealistic as it is so clear that it's like having a window right onto the field. This fell well short of that quality.

I expected it to be better as ESPN has been getting good bandwidth and is not down-rezzed, but perhaps ESPN did not use their best cameras.

Last edited:
There are threads popping up everywhere regarding the shoddy quality of ESPNHD..

Check "the other site", and check this site..There are close to a dozen different threads going right now between the 2 sites..All questioning the quality of ESPNHD..

To my eyes both those games were beyond hideous last night (E* and Charter Cable)..This is old news though, its been going on all summer.. Now that its football season everyone is finally starting to notice, imagine that... Well not everyone, regardless of how many threads pop up, there are still those that somehow think its "awesome dude"..

Just check around OP, its not your imagination, and its not your provider..Its ESPNHD, and its getting worse and worse all the time..

Last edited:
The only quality problem I saw last night was at the beginning of the BC/CM game, but that was a technical problem ESPN2 was having. It was on both the HD and SD channels. Alot of pixelation at the bottom of the screen. The SC/MS game on ESPN looked great to me.

Tom Bombadil said:
I watched about half of the game and thought it was pretty soft. The true HD demo that I've seen the most of was a football game. The level of detail was amazing, you could see the individual blades of grass, the texture of the fabric on uniforms, and amazing facial detail. This game sorely lacked all of these features. The grass was more like SD's uniform texture ping pong table, although there was a bit of detail. The names and numbers on the uniforms had good edges, but again the fabric detail was lacking.

A great quality HD football game can feel almost surrealistic as it is so clear that it's like having a window right onto the field. This fell well short of that quality.

I expected it to be better as ESPN has been getting good bandwidth and is not down-rezzed, but perhaps ESPN did not use their best cameras.
I agree. I didn't watch the whole game, but I am used to seeing a more detailed picture for HD football games.

They weren't softer only in comparison to the high quality HD demo football video. Compared to the Packer games that I watched last year via OTA, both ESPN games last night were much softer and had much less detail. It was better than SD, but only maybe halfway between SD and HD.

Perhaps ABC/ESPN had their best gear shipped off to the Notre Dame - Georgia Tech and USC-Arkansas or other games.

It looked better than baseball on Fox, but it didn't look as good as I expected. I've been told Starkville has a pretty small stadium, so maybe poor lighting or an incorrect setup is a good excuse for the poor picture.

Oggusfoo, Even tho we have season tickets at Mississippi State's Davis Wade Stadium in Starkville, MS, we were unable to attend in person last night so we watched most of it on HD TV. I. too was somewhat disapointed in the quality of the picture. It didn't do our beautiful stadium justice. it is fairly a small stadium compared to Alabama, Tennessee and other SEC Schools altho it seats well over 50,000 and the lighting is good there so I would think it was an incorrect setup and not our lights.

Tom. We were disapointed with our young offense but if you watched the game, you saw our quarterback go down with a broken collarbone and a true freshman had to take over. Not taking anything away from Spurrier and his gamecocks but they have a lot of work to do with their offense also. If not they will be clobbered by the likes of Auburn, Alabama down the road.

Here's to hoping Alabama doesn't get picked for an ESPN game. I'm embarassed to watch on this version of HD. I switched from Charter and last year it was pristine, Dish don't tell me I erred.

I was talking about Mississippi State's offense, which was shut out on ESPN last night.

Our QB initially committed to Auburn, but they wanted him as a wide receiver. WVU said they would give him a full shot at QB. So he switched on national signing day. It remains to be seen if he will develop as a passer, but he is real mean on the option.

The Nevada-Fresno State game tonight has better clarity than last night's game, however there are more compression artifacts - a lot of mosquito noise on backgrounds and those red FSU uniforms, and some macro-blocking on the grass field.

Still definitely not close to being a good HD demo.

Last edited:
NCAA 2007 has him in the top five rated quarterbacks, if my memory serves me correct from the ign previews. I really felt bad for State, just because 2 coaches were recently at Alabama, their quarterbacks coach I think is Freddy Kitchens (ex UA qb), and Sly should have been coachin' the Tide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)