HD quality with new dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cypher

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
All-
I have the new dish and the H20 HD receiver. But lately, I have been having issues, MAJOR issues. From time to time, the screen (on every channel, HD or no) starts to "flicker" and is brighter and darker in horizonatal lines. This goes on for a while until the screen goes black with red lines and red blocks. The only fix is to reboot. It might happen again ten minutes later, it may not happen for a couple of days.

Secondly, my HD channels are VERY grainy. Almost unwatchable. I am trying to wath the Super Bowl and it absolutely BLOWS. It looks SO grainy; it is like a replay from a 1960's game. I DO have an OTA (which I switch to frequently), but today (of course) I can't get good reception. My question is: is it my dish, maybe the multiswitch? Is there something I can do to fix it right now? Should I call DirecTV?

cypher said:
All-
I have the new dish and the H20 HD receiver. Should I call DirecTV?

For sure, if it is a new one.

Do you have additional units, and if you do, is it doing it on them? That will tell you if it is the HD receiver, or other equipment, in your system.

I called DirecTV, they are sending out a repairman, they think it is the signal (only about 78-80%) strength. I don't know if that is going to fix it, but if the signal strength is the cause...who knows. I don't get the issues on any other receiver in the house.

cypher said:
I called DirecTV, they are sending out a repairman, they think it is the signal (only about 78-80%) strength. I don't know if that is going to fix it, but if the signal strength is the cause...who knows. I don't get the issues on any other receiver in the house.

It doesn't sound like it's the signal strength. Especially if you just have a "grainy" picture. A signal strength of 78-80 is plenty to get a good picture. Sure you might be able to get a higher signal strength, but that should have nothing to do with your problem here. With a digital signal, either you have it or you don't. When you don't, you'll usually see blocks that stop moving and other very noticeable problems. A "grainy" picture can only be the receiver or the TV.

-JustBob

signal strength

I just got a 5 LNB system hooked up last week. Signal strength requirement vary by the particular satellite. I remember that one of the satellites needed about an 80%> signal, while the other 2 only needed greater than 60%.

The only minor problems I have seen is that every once in a while I get some colored blocks(possible a minor digital signal glitch?) But that is very rare.

Also, I have been switching a bunch between OTA and D* stations, and I can't tell a difference in quality.

BAD RECIEVER, the tech that came out was an idiot if he did not say it was bad, the signal strength is an indication of the reception of the dish. Simple fact, if the reciever recieves enough signal, it works and puts out a picture. If the picture is not clear there are only a few issues to trouble shoot thru, a. Cables to television, B. television, C. reciever operation, try this, swap a reciever with another one in the house, trouble go away, bad reciever if not, swap the cable to the tv, go away, then cable. Call Direct and escalate the call to the level 2 techs, they will have you up in no time.:(

woodybeetle said:
BAD RECIEVER, the tech that came out was an idiot if he did not say it was bad, the signal strength is an indication of the reception of the dish. Simple fact, if the reciever recieves enough signal, it works and puts out a picture. If the picture is not clear there are only a few issues to trouble shoot thru, a. Cables to television, B. television, C. reciever operation, try this, swap a reciever with another one in the house, trouble go away, bad reciever if not, swap the cable to the tv, go away, then cable. Call Direct and escalate the call to the level 2 techs, they will have you up in no time.:(

woody is correct, until pixelization occurs, there is no degradation in PQ. it is digital, you have a pic or you dont. end of story.

now if the IRD is bad on the output end that could be bad pq, but signal strength DOES NOT AFFECT PQ until breakup, PERIOD.

I just got HD on the AT9 too and because the H20 needs the B-Band Converter, it dropped the signal from 87 to 71. It works but I get pixelation, more than what I'd like, on the dish HD local channels. I wasn't expecting that. I have an OTA that I still need to perfect the signal, but the signal from there is just as good and perhaps a little less pixelation.

In my case is it the signal strength that's getting me the pixelation on the dish local channels?

The guy came out, looked at the receiver and the issue happened while he was there. He said he never saw that before and said the it was bad. Directv is sending out a new one...I'll keep you updated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)