NFL 2024-2025 Season

I was amazed at the crowd size in Detroit, 275,000 just for the draft.

Reactions: Jimbo
438658590_18017715470240304_3152167041956348573_n.jpg

Thanks to Jimbo for pointing out that I put this in the wrong thread...but

I was hoping that this wasn't going to be the case and all the MNF games would be on ABC again. It was so nice to have games OTA every Monday night last year. I don't know the economics gained by putting the games on ABC, but according to John Ourand, putting it on ABC brought in an extra $400 million of ad inventory. I know last year FOX and CBS were ticked off at Disney for doing this, and that may play a part - or trying to keep ESPN worth as much as possible with cord cutting (especially since the College Football National Championship will no longer be exclusive on ESPN and will be on ABC in the near future). But to me, $400 million is not a number to shy away from and if the contract allows for it, I would think they would do it.

View: https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1786851038642802982

Thanks to Jimbo for pointing out that I put this in the wrong thread...but

I was hoping that this wasn't going to be the case and all the MNF games would be on ABC again. It was so nice to have games OTA every Monday night last year. I don't know the economics gained by putting the games on ABC, but according to John Ourand, putting it on ABC brought in an extra $400 million of ad inventory. I know last year FOX and CBS were ticked off at Disney for doing this, and that may play a part - or trying to keep ESPN worth as much as possible with cord cutting (especially since the College Football National Championship will no longer be exclusive on ESPN and will be on ABC in the near future). But to me, $400 million is not a number to shy away from and if the contract allows for it, I would think they would do it.

View: https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1786851038642802982

MNF will be on ESPN+ (25 Million subs) and on the new sports TV service this year also.

You know, Xmas for me is a very trying time, emotionally and work wise. The last thing I want to do is sit down after I've finished all of the work, and watch 20 minutes of football actions stuffed into 3 hours of talk and commercials.

Hard to believe that just 2 years ago, in order to watch all the national games, I just needed my OTA antenna for CBS/FOX/NBC and Dish for NFL Network/ESPN games. (Amazon prime was optional because the games were also on FOX or NFL Network)

Now to watch all the national games, I need CBS/FOX/NBC and NFL Network/ESPN and Peacock and Amazon and Netflix and ESPN+.

• Sad
Reactions: AZ. and madmadworld
Here's the question the NFL seems reluctant to ask of it's fans, would you rather watch any old NFL game or do you want to watch your NFL team? It seems to me that major sports streaming is never going to work to it's best advantage until the streaming package becomes team specific. If you are a Denver fan do you really want to be jerked around by the NFL into signing on with a half dozen different streaming services just to watch your one team or would you prefer to sub to a single service to watch all your teams games? Personally I'm not about to allow myself to be yanked around by the NFL into such a situation where it's all or nothing so I choose nothing. If my team happens to be on something I already sub to I'll watch, otherwise I'll find something else to do.

Here's the question the NFL seems reluctant to ask of it's fans, would you rather watch any old NFL game or do you want to watch your NFL team? It seems to me that major sports streaming is never going to work to it's best advantage until the streaming package becomes team specific. If you are a Denver fan do you really want to be jerked around by the NFL into signing on with a half dozen different streaming services just to watch your one team or would you prefer to sub to a single service to watch all your teams games? Personally I'm not about to allow myself to be yanked around by the NFL into such a situation where it's all or nothing so I choose nothing. If my team happens to be on something I already sub to I'll watch, otherwise I'll find something else to do.

They're doing what they feel will maximize revenue. None of this is surprising and I'll be happy to subscribe in the short term to access the content I'd like to watch as long as it makes sense financially when the time comes.

Whatever doesn't work out, doesn't. They'll pivot and find another eager partner waiting to write a check. Perhaps once all these streaming services have had a taste and experienced the dry run of a potential NFL game or week under their infrastructure they'll opt to take a bigger bite and outbid the others at the next opportunity. That's the game the NFL is playing, IMO.

All the varying services, meh, sign of the times. It'll calm down in a few years.