HD Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Palm Coast Florida
Hello, I have spent all my time in the other forum as a very long time Dish customer however after all the years I have decided to switch to Direct basically because i can't stand being without the Sunday Ticket.

When looking at the "LIST" I always noted the E broadcasts in MPEG4 but when looking at the D listings, They don't say how they are broadcast. Can anyone tell me what format D is broadcasting and is there anyone in here that has both services that can give me their honest view on the PQ for both HD systems.

I can personally tell you that i have played with my friends D receiver and I don't like the TV guide menu layout at all. I will miss my Guides from E but hopefully, someone can tell me I will be happier with D. Thanks

When looking at the "LIST" I always noted the E broadcasts in MPEG4 but when looking at the D listings, They don't say how they are broadcast. Can anyone tell me what format D is broadcasting and is there anyone in here that has both services that can give me their honest view on the PQ for both HD systems.

The HD channels in the 70-99 range are in MPEG2 to allow the customers that haven't upgraded to the MPEG4 receivers and the Ka/Ku dish to receive what they've always had. With the new dish and receivers all the HD channels from 200 up are in MPEG4 including the channels that are in the 70-99 range, they have a MPEG4 version in the >200 range.

Hello, I have spent all my time in the other forum as a very long time Dish customer however after all the years I have decided to switch to Direct basically because i can't stand being without the Sunday Ticket.

I can personally tell you that i have played with my friends D receiver and I don't like the TV guide menu layout at all. I will miss my Guides from E but hopefully, someone can tell me I will be happier with D. Thanks
Hi Rich...
I too was a longtime E* customer and switched because here in Cincy, if you want to see professional football, you must have ST. To your question...
D* is migrating to an "all MPEG4" setup. Their original HD stations like ESPN and TNT were M2 and are now mirrored so folks who don't have the latest receivers can still get them in HD. (There are few others still in M2 as well.) As a new sub, your gear will get the M4 stuff so there's no need to worry.

I have to totally agree about the guide BUT I was reading in the C E Forum that D* is rolling out a new look guide with many improvements so it'll look and act more like E*. It's taken too long but it's coming.

Overall, I am VERY happy with D* and would not consider going back in any way, shape or form. IMHO, there will be a merger and hopefully the best of both will survive. ST with SuperFan is awesome but you're likely gonna have to wait a few weeks or more to get it. I guess you're kinda dissappointed with that college team that plays on the shore of Lake Hartwell too (as am I!)
:cool:

Hi Rich...
I too was a longtime E* customer and switched because here in Cincy, if you want to see professional football, you must have ST. To your question...
D* is migrating to an "all MPEG4" setup. Their original HD stations like ESPN and TNT were M2 and are now mirrored so folks who don't have the latest receivers can still get them in HD. (There are few others still in M2 as well.) As a new sub, your gear will get the M4 stuff so there's no need to worry.

I have to totally agree about the guide BUT I was reading in the C E Forum that D* is rolling out a new look guide with many improvements so it'll look and act more like E*. It's taken too long but it's coming.

Overall, I am VERY happy with D* and would not consider going back in any way, shape or form. IMHO, there will be a merger and hopefully the best of both will survive. ST with SuperFan is awesome but you're likely gonna have to wait a few weeks or more to get it. I guess you're kinda dissappointed with that college team that plays on the shore of Lake Hartwell too (as am I!)

Thanks for your reply, Sounds like I should be happy with PQ and will welcome an update that changes the Guide format.

ST with SuperFan is awesome but you're likely gonna have to wait a few weeks or more to get it.

Why a couple of weeks to get it?

I guess you're kinda dissappointed with that college team that plays on the shore of Lake Hartwell too (as am I!)

That's an under statement, LOL:D:D

A few weeks because installs directly through D* is a few weeks out. I signed up on 10/13 and will not be installed until 10/30. Some areas are long. Try looking into authorized dealers as they may be able to do it in 3-5 days. Check dealers first because if D* sets up the install you need to call and cancel then wait 24-48 to show you are not a customer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)