Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Well Black Friday came and I decided to wake up at 6:30am and head to the Newington Radio Shack to pick up their Black Friday Special the Accuruan HD Radio for $99.

I was nervous as I though they would sell out since this was the first time anyone has sold a HD radio for under $100. I stopped by the store on Wednesday Night and was told they had 3 in stock. So I took my chances. I arrived at Radio Shack at almost 7:30am over an hour an a half since they opened. I feared all of the HD radios would be gone.

All 3 HD Radios were still sitting on the shelf. Phew.

I took the HD Radio up to the register and the manager told me I was the first to buy a HD Radio from this Radio Shack Location.

I got home to my house just off of Main Street in Newington, and unpacked it.

Plugged it in and hooked up all the included antennas. Turned it on and immediately I tuned WTIC 96.5 FM, the WTIC Call letters displayed on the screen. About 4 seconds of being tuned in the HD symbol displayed on the screen, I could hear more highs and slightly more bass. I then tuned up and found WTIC-AM 1080 on WTIC FM's subchannel. As I listened I figured out this was WTIC AM's Internet Radio stream as it had no real ads, only PSA's and ads for WTIC.COM.

I then went through the dial and here is what I found in HD which I could pick up from my house.

92.5 WWYZ - With a second Country Channel on SubChannel 2
93.7 WZMX - With Artist and Title Info - Spanish Music on SubChannel 2
95.7 WKSS - With Artist and Title Info - Fabulous "Gay" Music with Artist and Title Info on Subchannel 2
96.5 WTIC - With WTIC AM (Internet Feed) on Subchannel 2
99.1 WPLR - With an ad for WPLR on screen
101.3 WKCI - With a 10 second delayed version of KC 101 on Subchannel 2
102.9 WDRC - With "Big D HD" on SubChannel 2
104.1 WHPP - With Artist and Title Info - Hip Hop music on SubChannel 2.
105.9 WHCN - Station Info shown only - Deep Tracks Classic Rock (With Artist and Title info) on SubChannel 2
106.9 WCCC - Sometimes displays Artist and Title other times displaying "Everyones happy at Hooters"

Scanning the AM Dial for HD Signals and I found NOTHING. ZIP. ZILCH in HD.

The sound quality is anything but HD but what do you expect from a radio that only has 2, 2 inch speakers. However plug some headphones in and you can hear the difference between HD and non HD. When you tune to a HD channel you hear the Analog version of the station first until the radio buffers the HD signal, then it switches over to the digital signal. Through headphones you can hear it click in.

Whats sad is that WRCH 100.5 for some reason sounds WORLDS better then any HD boardcast I have listened to. Don't know what they are doing at WRCH (which is not in HD yet) but the Stereo Seperation and sound is the best on the FM dial.

All of the subchannels are nothing more then Ipods on shuffle play, no personality whatsoever except for WTIC AM. I must admit I do enjoy WDRC with the Big D in HD. Its great to have the Big D back, its just to bad no one but me is listening to the Big D.

Today I have taken my HD radio in to my office. I work on the top floor of the Goodwin Building in Hartford, Connecticut, you would think that sitting at the top of downtown Hartford would be a great thing, however I can't pick up most of the HD signals here in my office, and that it with the big antenna fully extended. This is a MAJOR problem with HD radio, HD will not work everywhere you can get an acceptable stereo signal. In addition listening to WDRC, it will play great for 15 minutes then drop out for a second or two for no rhyme or reason.

This Radio is a CLOCK RADIO, however the clock feature is lacking BIG TIME, you can set the time and date on it, but thats it. No alarms, no timers, just a time display.

It also seems like the HD Radio chipset generates some heat. If I hold my hand over the vents on the back I can feel warm air coming out of it.

Again for being a HD Radio I was expecting better sound, but again with 2 inch speakers it's just not possible. You think they would want to wow people with sound, but instead have made a radio which is better used for backround music.

Stations are not using HD properly, for the first 2 days I had this radio all of the Clear Channel stations had their Artist and Title information STUCK showing incorrect information. Other stations are not showing artist and title information at all. Most of the subchannels are lifeless with no personality nor are they promoted by their main stations.

HD Radio is supposed to be competition to Satellite Radio, but frankly gaining 7 channels is not that big of a deal and the fact that getting a HD Radio signal is not simple task, it seems to me that Satellite Radio has nothing to worry about.

BTW I needed something from Radio Shack so I went in last night and they still had the other 2 HD radios on the shelf. Even below $100 it seems that HD Radio is not catching on.

This is my major complaint with hd radio. It doesn't make sense at all for driving, since it is much more picky picking up an hd signal and driving in a car makes it a moving target.

So, where is the lure for it? I see a few car radio's sporting it, but not alot has gotten on the bandwagon yet

FYI, from this IBM site:

When HD isn't HD
HD has come to mean high-definition when followed by TV, and that's what the marketing droids would like you to think about its use for HD Radio. But that's not what it means in this case. In the case of Radio, HD stands for Hybrid Digital, according to iBiquity. And that settles it.

Someone posted this info earlier, but I could not find it in a search, so I googled it. I knew HD wasn't HiDef for radio, but couldn't remember what it stood for. Good luck getting the translation at the hd radio site.

Ever notice you can't find component HD radios to put in your audio rack? They're either portable or table units that sound like crap or car units.

Many AM stations in our area turned off HD (or IBOC) due to problems.

Like AM Stereo, it'll be a fad.

you nailed it scott

I live in western mass, and have had the exact same issues. I have the kd-hdr1 in my truck. The delay when it switches to hd is annoying to say the least. I have even been contemplating attempting to disable the hd feature. When i do an analog to digital comparison with music, analog wins on every channel. The only thing hd seems to be good for is talk......sound familiar a.m.

The biggest problem with HD radio so far is that the side channels aren't offering anything unique. HD needs content that will drive people to it--that will make listeners buy a new radio when their old one works just fine. HD needs something similar to what Howard Stern gave Sirius.

One long held (relatively speaking) idea that I've had is to put some exclusive content related to the most popular daypart on the station. If a station has a top-rated morning show, put an after-show on the side channel. Or a bonus hour. Or re-run the whole damn show. The content has to be unique to the station or it's going to fail.

I think it's going to take awhile but one should also consider that if the sound improves then some auto companies might be more apt to put them into cars.

The two most common things I've seen on this planet are clocks and radios...Heck I've even seen soundproofing earmuffs with a radio in them :eek:

It's too bad sony hasn't done anything with it...a newer walkman maybe with a cheap recordable mp3 might sell well...

I don't think the theory of am stereo fits well on this one as there was a number of formats with that one and this is far far more stations and there is some development of using it in other countries. The prices will ultimatly come down and they could slap HD onto newer radios just as FM was a few decades ago...

Maybe it won't be a fad.

Maybe it'll be a future mandate.

Maybe there will one day be a move to reclaim some more spectrum for other uses, same as with digital TV. Then they'll start by requiring all radios to have HD. And perhaps we will have a 10-20 year process before analog radio is turned off.

Anyone hear anything that might indicate that something like this might actually occur?

Ever notice you can't find component HD radios to put in your audio rack? They're either portable or table units that sound like crap or car units.

Many AM stations in our area turned off HD (or IBOC) due to problems.

Like AM Stereo, it'll be a fad.

they are staarting to appear. but i don't know anyone who is particualrly excited about it.

I just went out and bought the Accurian Receiver from RadioShack too. For a good price too $199 minus 30% employee discount and $25 rebate. I live down near New Haven, CT and I have to say that this doesn't get much for HD stations. I get no AM HD stations. The FM stations are extremely hard to get unless they are very close to you. I don't even touch the antenna and the station goes away. It's very annoying when you're on a fringe area for the HD signal because it will come and go alot while listening to the station. This is good if you don't want to pay for satellite radio but I would really recommend XM or Sirius over this.

You would think WFAN, one of the strongest analog AM stations, would reach new haven - it's mostly over water.

If it doesn't, you guys just saved me some angst about not having one :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)