HD Radio to use NDS Radioguard system

aegrotatio

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
A Public Bathroom
HD Radio is going to use the NDS Radioguard system. This system, similar in operation to the NDS Videoguard system used by DirecTV, BskyB, and other News Corp. properties, is to be used for subscription-based HD Radio services.

Could be old news to you, but I think it's worth mentioning it will be using NDS technology.

Maybe it was an urban myth but wasn't HD Radio supposed to remain free to air?

Link:
http://www.nds.com/worldvision/thirty_seven/article_1.html HD Radio

Last edited:
A few years ago someone tried using digital TV bandwidth to broadcast pay channels. That company is now out of business. I would think that people in the radio industry would learn from that, but I've never accused businessmen of having common sense.

Originally - yes, but it certainly seems worth a try. If nothing else, public radio and other non-profit stations can finally offer supporters a pledge-free alternative program stream. ("Sign up for our automatic debit plan, and never hear a pledge drive again!")

And - perhaps commercial stations can offer an uncensored version of their morning show and/or main program stream, perhaps for an extremely nominal fee like $9.99 a year, and which includes a $10 coupon for one of the station's sponsors.

They just love to flush cash on this crap. Make your digital station unavailable to the already small installed base and go after people willing to pay for radio who already subscribe to XM

they better not touch my HD radio , I luv it , free and when rush hour comes and ALL station go to commercial at same time just flip to HD ch and bam no more commercials:) , I know for a fact its being "hidden" from the community as much as possible ( Like one HD radio in 8 months worth of sales ads) , It gets no attention & had it not been for the internet I would never ( and still wouldn't) know about it ( cause there is no info out in stores)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)