HD Ready VS HDTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TexasPatti

Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
We got really confused at Best Buy today. We own one analog TV in our daughter's room. One big Floor model HD ready (not an HDTV, bought it in 2002) in the living room and an new HDTV in our bedroom. He said we need something special other than a regular converter for our big HD ready TV. He said the TV in daughter's room just needs a converter. So my husband was asking him to show us what we need for the big TV and he said they don't carry it anymore. :eek:

We then went to Radio shack and they said we just need to buy 2 converter boxes for those 2 TV's. So, now we aren't sure what we need for the big TV. :confused:

We did find an HDTV UHF/VHF antenna. :D

HD Ready = any display that is capable of accepting and displaying a high-definition signal at either 720p, 1080i or 1080p using a component video or digital input, but does not have a built-in HD-capable tuner.

You can take an external HD device, stand-alone ATSC tuner or HD cable, satellite receiver and connect them to a HD Ready TV and receive HD. It is likely this can save you money in the short term but most HD ready sets are older and likely ready to be replaced soon.

So, a converter box alone won't work. :( I guess we'll have to look for a external HD device. The set has a perfect picture. I hate to replace it when it may possibly last a few more years or longer if we're lucky.

The issue for the "HD Ready" TV is that you would probably want to watch off the air programming on it in high definition. The inexpensive converter boxes that are available (along with the government $40 rebate coupons) will convert digital off the air broadcasts to standard definition analog format which will not look as good as high definition on that HD Ready set.

Since all TVs sold in the last year or two contain a High Definition tuner, it may be true that it will be a challenge to find a high definition off the air set top box for your HD Ready TV.

None of this is relevant if you are watching cable or satellite rather than off the air broadcasts from an antenna. Cable and satellite set top boxes with High Definion outputs are readily available.

The satellite High Definition set top boxes often include a digital off the air tuner that would provide a high definition signal to your HD Ready TV, but I think the off the air tuner may only be usable if you subscribe to some satellite service.

If indeed your desire is to receive OTA HD on the HD ready set, check out what is available on ebay. I have several. Zenith, LG and Samsung. Some have hard drive recording capability so you can use the same way as a VCR. Without any fees like the Tivo. Just search for those names or "HD set top box" or "HD receiver". I'm sure you'll find something.

The issue for the "HD Ready" TV is that you would probably want to watch off the air programming on it in high definition. The inexpensive converter boxes that are available (along with the government $40 rebate coupons) will convert digital off the air broadcasts to standard definition analog format which will not look as good as high definition on that HD Ready set.

Very good info I forgot to add; these are worthless if you want HD. I used to have a LST-4200a back in the day and sold it on eBay. http://www.audioholics.com/news/trade-show-coverage/2004-cedia-expo/lg-lst-4200a-hd-receiver-dvr

Right now, I think the only one readily available is the Samsung DTB-H260F
Samsung - HDTV Digital Terrestrial Receiver - DTB-H260F
You can usually find open boxes at Best Buy or Circuit City. It will provide HD OTA along with a nice guide, and its all free OTA. It's a nice little box. Good stuff, but pricey at the big box retailers.

You can also get the CECB boxes and use the $40 coupon. This will get you a standard def picture. Set the box to "full" or Squeeze mode. Basically, this will turn the 16:9 picture into 4:3 and squeeze everything horizontally so everyone looks tall and skinny. Then set your TV to strech or full, and your TV will correctly convert the 4:3 picture back to a 16:9 picture.

What I would recommend, is to buy the CECB box for the bedroom TV since you definately need it back there. Hook it up to the HD ready TV. See if it looks "good enough" for you. If so, pick up another box for that TV. If not, look for a HD tuner.

-John

My older HD set (65" RPTV) is being driven my a Series 3 HD Tivo, which has two HD OTA tuners in it. We love it.

Our newer HD set (52" LCD), has on onboard ATSC tuner, but we use a another Series 3 HD Tivo, with it, as well.

My older HD set (65" RPTV) is being driven my a Series 3 HD Tivo, which has two HD OTA tuners in it. We love it.

Our newer HD set (52" LCD), has on onboard ATSC tuner, but we use a another Series 3 HD Tivo, with it, as well.
Oh yeah, forgot about the Tivo HD. I have one as well, and can highly recommend it as well.

How well does it work with two? Do they work well together? ie: can you start watching a recording on one unit, pause it, and continue watching it on the other unit? Also, do the two units know about each others suggestions, or do both of them end up recording essentially the same shows as suggestions?

-John

Oh yeah, forgot about the Tivo HD. I have one as well, and can highly recommend it as well.

How well does it work with two? Do they work well together? ie: can you start watching a recording on one unit, pause it, and continue watching it on the other unit? Also, do the two units know about each others suggestions, or do both of them end up recording essentially the same shows as suggestions?

-John

There aren't very well integrated together. You can transfer shows between them. However, I believe a recording has to be complete before you can transfer it. On the other hand, you can start a transfer and begin watching it immediately.

As for suggestions, we have them turned off. We hardly have time to watch the stuff we like, much less what the Tivo thinks we'll like. :)

My kids have really enjoyed the new YouTube features on the HD Tivos, as well as downing music videos from Music Choice.

I've had several HD Tuner boxes over the last 5 years or so, and the ATSC tuners on the HD Series Tivos are by far the best of the bunch. Rock solid reception.

$169? It better be made of solid gold for that price. Ouch.

This is a stand alone full ATSC HDTV tuner, not an inexpensive DTV converter box (that only outputs 480i). This tuner outputs full HDTV (1080i) to your set. By the way, the list price is $219.00 so $169.00 is actually quite a good deal.

Here's a quote from a review:
"Samsung’s DTB-H260F is the first DTV set-top box to include the latest 5th-gen 8VSB chipsets — and they make a big difference.

With the widespread availability of integrated HDTV sets, it’s hard to find any manufacturers willing to continue selling discrete DTV set-top receivers. Yet, there are still plenty of legacy HDTV monitors out there that require such a box for terrestrial DTV reception.

To their credit, Samsung — alone among the major CE manufacturers - continues to support this product."

Read all the specs (it has a QAM tuner built in also) here:

HDTVexpert — Product Review: Samsung DTB-H260F Terrestrial DTV Set-Top Receiver

If you have an HD Ready TV you need this tuner to receive full HD pictures OTA. It's the only game in town.

This is a stand alone full ATSC HDTV tuner, not an inexpensive DTV converter box (that only outputs 480i). This tuner outputs full HDTV (1080i) to your set. By the way, the list price is $219.00 so $169.00 is actually quite a good deal.

Yes, I understand that, but the only difference in the two are the connectors (outputs). The electronics inside are pretty much the same (I work on the electronics inside for a living). I guess they are trying to claim that the extra connectors (component video, HDMI, and optical digital) are the extra $100 (or at least $50 with a 50% margin).

It's the only game in town.

Not true. HD Tivo. That and the scores of them on Ebay from people who no longer need standalone ATSC tuners. Heck, I've got at least 4 in my closet. Two old Voom boxes, an LG box, and a Samsung box. Saving them for my old analog tvs after the cutover.

If I was going to pay that much I would rather pay the $299 and get a Tivo HD.
Record 2 HD programs while watching a third.

Plus Program Guide, Music Choice, YouTube, Amazon Unbox, the ability to playback videos, music and photos from your PC, the list goes on.

And for all that you don't have to also pay Tivo a month charge of $12.95 or pick an annual or lifetime plan (and hope they don't go out of business) ;) For the $199 they get a box with no monthly charge.

Yes, I understand that, but the only difference in the two are the connectors (outputs). The electronics inside are pretty much the same (I work on the electronics inside for a living). I guess they are trying to claim that the extra connectors (component video, HDMI, and optical digital) are the extra $100 (or at least $50 with a 50% margin).

Let's see; QAM tuner, ATSC tuner, HDMI, Component Output, Toslink Digital Optical, and 480p-720p-1080i Output capability. None of which are in the basic DTV box, and you think there's no difference? That's like saying the only difference between a 4 cylinder engine and an 8 cylinder engine is the number of spark plugs.

TIVO? Why would anyone get involved with TIVO? Just buy a free standing DVR-no fees involved. My Polaroid DVR does everything a TIVO does including time-shifting and burning DVD's. The Humax Tivo is going on ebay for about $350.00. :eek: I paid less than $100.00 for my DVR., Combined with $169.00 for the Samsung and you're still $80.00 to the good and no fees.

Hey, it's your choice on how you spend your money just make sure you do your homework beforehand.

Let's see; QAM tuner, ATSC tuner, HDMI, Component Output, Toslink Digital Optical, and 480p-720p-1080i Output capability. None of which are in the basic DTV box, and you think there's no difference?

Actually there is an ATSC tuner in the basic DTV box. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to receive the ATSC broadcasts. The difference is the DTV box only outputs 480i.

The QAM tuner thing is a common misnomer. A tuner simply tunes into a particular channel (frequency). It doen't care what's on that channel. It could be NTSC, ATSC, QAM, PAL, DVB, etc. It's the demodulator (signal processor) that comes after it that decodes the signal and sends it off to the TV. And there isn't much difference in price between a demodulator that simply decodes ATSC and one that decodes both ATSC and QAM (Maybe $2 difference).

Yes, I understand there are more connectors on this box (which is why I listed them in my previous post), but not $100 worth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)