HD receiver:can I do this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stryped

Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
I have old analog tv's in my house. I also have a direct tv box (older) deeding all these tv's from my living room. There is an antenna button where I can toggle between over the air and dtv for the rest of the tv's in my house.

My question is, do the HD receivers have a built in digital tuner on them so I could watch the local new digital tv station on my old analog tv's? My thought is maybe upgrading even though I dont have an HD tv to allow me to be able to receive this station. (If there is a built in tuner). Will it output on a regular coax? How much would it cost to upgrade to this receiver?

Thanks again!

Yes, the H20 and HR20 will output on regular coax for your analog TVs. Both boxes have built-in digital tuners that can pick up your local stations.

Yes, the H20 and HR20 will output on regular coax for your analog TVs. Both boxes have built-in digital tuners that can pick up your local stations.

Can you tell me how much it is for an existing customer?

Also, my current receiver has an "antenna" button that can toggel between satelite and the over the air analog antenna. I have the rest of the tv's in the house connected to this so I can view either satelite or I hit the antenna button on the remote to view "over the air"

Will this still work with the HD box and how exactly? Will I be able to receive both satelite, digital, and analog signals to the rest of my tv's

I am sorry for all the questions and I appreciate your help!

Can you tell me how much it is for an existing customer?

Also, my current receiver has an "antenna" button that can toggel between satelite and the over the air analog antenna. I have the rest of the tv's in the house connected to this so I can view either satelite or I hit the antenna button on the remote to view "over the air"

Will this still work with the HD box and how exactly? Will I be able to receive both satelite, digital, and analog signals to the rest of my tv's

I am sorry for all the questions and I appreciate your help!

With an HD box the OTA antenna stations will be fully integrated into your guide. There is no "antenna" button as you say. The OTA stations will appear just as if they came off the satellite.

Actually the HR20 (DVR) does not have a coax out. Only composite, Svideo, component and HDMI. So you'd have to run composite (yellow) wire or Svdedo to your old analog TVs.

I don't know about the H20 if it has a coax out or not.

With an HD box the OTA antenna stations will be fully integrated into your guide. There is no "antenna" button as you say. The OTA stations will appear just as if they came off the satellite.
How would the analog stations be received? Is there an "antenna toggle" button like on my current box?

Can anyone tell me for sure which box has a coax out?

How would the analog stations be received? Is there an "antenna toggle" button like on my current box?

Can anyone tell me for sure which box has a coax out?

You cannot receive analog stations at all with the HD boxes. They will only receive those stations that have a digital signal.

HR20 definitely does not have a coax out. All you gotta do is go to the DirecTV web site and download the manuals. They have pics of the back panel typically. Or google pictures of the receivers should turn up something as well.

Good luck.

I found the manual. It only has rcs and other outputs. Can I use a converter similar to using on a dvd to coax connection to get a coax output? Will the picture be ok on the tv.

One last thing in the manual it shows a picture of the remote and it has a button that says it "switches between inputs" but on the picture of the back of the receiver I see only an outside antenna input and a sat input. What is this button for and am I missing something?

One last thing in the manual it shows a picture of the remote and it has a button that says it "switches between inputs" but on the picture of the back of the receiver I see only an outside antenna input and a sat input. What is this button for and am I missing something?

The DirecTV remotes nowadays are somewhat "universal" in that they can be programmed to control your TV and A/V receiver. So you can switch "inputs" via a slider on the remote to control the TV or A/V receiver.

The functionality you are looking for with an antenna passthru and coax out just isn't something that exists on most modern receivers, HD anyway. It's because OTA digital stations are integrated right into the guide there is no need for the passthru.

The DirecTV remotes nowadays are somewhat "universal" in that they can be programmed to control your TV and A/V receiver. So you can switch "inputs" via a slider on the remote to control the TV or A/V receiver.

The functionality you are looking for with an antenna passthru and coax out just isn't something that exists on most modern receivers, HD anyway. It's because OTA digital stations are integrated right into the guide there is no need for the passthru.

Will a converter to coax work?

Will a converter to coax work?

Yes a converter to coax will work, I used one for the Superbowl to go to another TV that was on the other side of the house. Worked great.

$25 from Radio Shack

RF ModulatorVideo Component Adapter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)