HD Receiver on Std Def TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

grantsa4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 9, 2007
Naperville, IL
Sorry if this question has already been asked, but can you use an HD Receiver on a SD TV? I realise you wouldn't be able to watch the HD Channels, but if you wanted to have a whole home dvr, and have 1 HD TV and 1 SD TV could you do that?

Thanks

yes you can and you can watch the HD channels; they will simply down rez but would be perfectly viewable.

One additional question (thinking of switching over to DirecTV as well) - if I get the Whole Home DVR service, will an SD receiver link in without problems?

I've got one HD and two SD televisions - with DirecTV's current special, it looks like I can get the HD DVR and one HD receiver with no fee, but a third HD receiver would cost me $99. If I made the third receiver an SD receiver (which looks like it would be free and it would be in my young child's room, so HD isn't a big deal), will I have any issues with recording and playback from the one HD DVR?

Hopefully, that wasn't too convulted, thanks in advance for your help!

Correct, only HD receivers work with MRV. Just get HD receivers and use them with your SD tv...works fine, I do it with two of mine...

That's what I did too. Makes sense on several levels. Not only does it work with MRV, but you're already set up to replace that TV some day, even if you have no plans to do so now. Since you really can't buy SD TV's anymore, it makes sense to have a receiver that is compatible with what's available in the stores and not have to mess with an upgrade in the future.

I'm in this same boat as the OP. I haze ZERO HD sets at this time, but plan on upgrading to one in the near future. I'm interested in the whole home dvr as well, but my question is would I have to pay for the HD service for this to work? I'd assume so.

One additional question (thinking of switching over to DirecTV as well) - if I get the Whole Home DVR service, will an SD receiver link in without problems?

I've got one HD and two SD televisions - with DirecTV's current special, it looks like I can get the HD DVR and one HD receiver with no fee, but a third HD receiver would cost me $99. If I made the third receiver an SD receiver (which looks like it would be free and it would be in my young child's room, so HD isn't a big deal), will I have any issues with recording and playback from the one HD DVR?

Hopefully, that wasn't too convulted, thanks in advance for your help!
Otis: Directv told me the SD receiver would not do the MRV. I started to hang up. "Carlos" said he was authorized to offer the HR24 and TWO H24 receivers at no charge. I decided to buy another HDTV for the workshop, & mirror my old bedroom TV to the H24 in the living room. The installer gave me a RF modulator so he could run a RG6 cable to the other room to my TV on channel 3.
MRV works very well this way. I only have to change the HDTV aspect ratio on that receiver, depending on which TV I am watching. EASY.

actually the R22 will do MRV because it can "Act" like a HD DVR but it may be another "act" trying to get one ;)

I'm in this same boat as the OP. I haze ZERO HD sets at this time, but plan on upgrading to one in the near future. I'm interested in the whole home dvr as well, but my question is would I have to pay for the HD service for this to work? I'd assume so.

Yes if you install an HD reciever you will pay the $10 HD fee month.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts