HD Receiver Question? Which HD DirecTV Receiver would you buy?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
you will expect to pay around $400 for the LG or Sony on ebay and upward of $599+ discouter (if found) or $699+ full retail.

DaJoker said:
Actually, they are mostly the same firmware, even down to version numbers.
"mostly the same firmware? How do you support that claim? The version's number means nothing when compared between companies. If you have v1.5 on your PC's motherboard and i have v1.5 on mine, does that mean they must be the same ? No. Although the "basic guts" of all these units are 95% the same, the software and firmware for all are distinct. AND CAN/DO make the difference, unless some engineer wants to post the proprietary hex dumps (the secret coding that seperates one from the other) of each box with it's latest firmware, buy it based on your wallet and live with it I guess.

charper1 said:
"mostly the same firmware? How do you support that claim? The version's number means nothing when compared between companies. If you have v1.5 on your PC's motherboard and i have v1.5 on mine, does that mean they must be the same ? No. Although the "basic guts" of all these units are 95% the same, the software and firmware for all are distinct. AND CAN/DO make the difference, unless some engineer wants to post the proprietary hex dumps (the secret coding that seperates one from the other) of each box with it's latest firmware, buy it based on your wallet and live with it I guess.

And if I have a Tyan Triton 320 motherboard, and you have a Tyan Triton 320 motherboard and we both have bios version 1.5, aren't they basically the same even though I have a 40G drive and you have an 80G drive? Sure, we have different hardware, I bought mine from Dell, you from Gateway, but the basic guts are the same, and work functionally the same.

I never claimed they were EXACTLY the same, only that they all share the same versions, the same fixes with each version, etc. I do believe I noted that they did have minor differences. The firmware upgrades for all three versions of the receivers have been sent at the same time by D*, all have the same version number, and all contain the same basic fixes, because they all use the same basic hardware, and had the same bugs (audio dropouts, default All channels PG, etc)

Yes, I realize I am oversimplifying, and to some, that is reason enough to jump all over the explanation I guess.

HD Prices

Getting these prices from eBay, other auction sites, and local private party sellers.

And I was wrong I can't get the LG for $250 brand new.. it was used. And I have seen used Sony's for around $450 on eBay.

In the end I may just go with the HTL-HD b/c I can get is cheapest.

DaJoker said:
I never claimed they were EXACTLY the same, only that they all share the same versions, the same fixes with each version, etc.

The same versions of what? The same version numbers of different firware and different software. Thus the point is moot. I was not jumping on your explination, just mearly explaing to the user that asked that there IS a difference.

dantem said:
Getting these prices from eBay, other auction sites, and local private party sellers.

And I was wrong I can't get the LG for $250 brand new.. it was used. And I have seen used Sony's for around $450 on eBay.

You won't be sorry for the current state of the art it is up to date and has been reliable.

I've got the Sony HD-300. Love it, using the DVI output to my HDTV & has selectable outputs (have mine at 1080I cause my sets native resolution is 1080I). Came with the DVI cable. Guide is great, OTA is wonderful. Also, the "fill screen options" are wonderfull.

charper1 said:
The same versions of what? The same version numbers of different firware and different software. Thus the point is moot. I was not jumping on your explination, just mearly explaing to the user that asked that there IS a difference.
The UI's look pretty similar in the manuals.

dantem said:

I have the Sony now and tried out the LG for a few weeks earlier this spring. I like the Sony PG alittle better. The boxes were almost exact in performance. I don't recall if the LG was able to create a custom PG for your channels. The Sony does and will come up each time you go to PG menu. Other boxes always come up to a ALL CHANNELS PG menu. Got my Sony at CC. It was $250 open box special. Try your local BB, CC or other elec. stores. They give you a new card so no waiting for D* to send one.

I have the Sammy 360

I have been very happy with the outstanding pic quality and stability of my Samsung 360. I had the Hughes E86 and the 360 blows it away on pq and picks up and holds 5 more OTA stations than the old one, and I use a Radio Shack indoor antenna (I am in DFW, TX). I guess I got one of the good ones; as I have seen some reports to the contrary. I just wish they would offer software updates frequently! D* offered me a $150 credit on the bill to help offset purchase price.

DaJoker said:
And if I have a Tyan Triton 320 motherboard, and you have a Tyan Triton 320 motherboard and we both have bios version 1.5, aren't they basically the same even though I have a 40G drive and you have an 80G drive? Sure, we have different hardware, I bought mine from Dell, you from Gateway, but the basic guts are the same, and work functionally the same.

I never claimed they were EXACTLY the same, only that they all share the same versions, the same fixes with each version, etc. I do believe I noted that they did have minor differences. The firmware upgrades for all three versions of the receivers have been sent at the same time by D*, all have the same version number, and all contain the same basic fixes, because they all use the same basic hardware, and had the same bugs (audio dropouts, default All channels PG, etc)

Yes, I realize I am oversimplifying, and to some, that is reason enough to jump all over the explanation I guess.

If you have seen the LG and the Sony side by side as I have, you see that the end results are VERY different in the same way a SE cell's menus are different than a Moto's.

The PQ looks better on the Sony as well, IMO.

The only thing about the sony is it will not let you assign a user. so every one that uses the box will have to scroll thru every channel. it does have a favorites button but it doesnt hold enough channels. but all in all the box is great , this is the only bad thing i cab say about it. thanks\
Steve

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)