HD resolution question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SonicGT

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
sorry if this is not the right place, but figured someone may know the answer.
I just got the HR20, and this is my first HD source signal, so finally got HD in general.
My question is I have a samsung 50" DLP, according to what I read when I got it and all it stated that native resolution is 720p, but when I set the HR20 to 1080i it does show the picture, so not sure if its downscaling to 720p or what. I set the HR20 to only output 720p currently, wondering if I would see any advantage or disadvantage if I set it to 1080i instead?
My thinking is since native of the dlp is 720 its easier for the screen if I left it output at 720 only?

Any thoughts?

There are numerous thoughts, from setting the receiver to native, to matching the resolution of your display; the display will convert as needed. I do not like the native switching back and forth; I have a 720p display and prefer my receiver set to always output 1080i; I think that looks best for me. Use what looks best to you.

I have a Toshiba 37" LCD HDTV that also has a native mode of 720p. I've tried all the options on my H20 and have decided that that best picture is found using native mode on the H20. The TV has a lot better -- more expensive -- electronics in it to do upscaling/downscaling than the H20 does.

When you set the receiver to 1080i and your display does not show a picture then your display does not accept a 1080i signal. Set it 720p only. I have a Sony CRT which does not accept 720p signal so I set the receiver to 1080i only.

TulsaCoker said:
When you set the receiver to 1080i and your display does not show a picture then your display does not accept a 1080i signal. Set it 720p only. I have a Sony CRT which does not accept 720p signal so I set the receiver to 1080i only.
Not True .....

When you set the receiver to 1080i and your display does not show a picture then your display does not accept a 1080i signal.

For example : If your TV set is a 720 display and you have a 1080i signal, you WILL have a picture.
Your TV (or receiver, depending on how you have it set up) will down convert the signal to 720p, which btw, is easier to do than upconverting to 1080i.

btw, my Sony 60" XBR is a 768p display.

Jimbo

Jimbos, If a TV (like mine a 40" Sony XBR-700 Direct-View) which does not accept a 720p signal get a 720p signal it does not show a picture.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts