HD Spotbeams

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tamntm2

Original poster
Dec 25, 2004
I'm a directv mover, from NYC to DC about 18 months ago. Life has been good. Very good.

But now I'm considering upgrading to HD. This poses interesting questions. I've tried to digest the posts in this forum, but it remains murky to me. Maybe someone can help me out??

1) I'm successfully receiving the normal spotbeam for DC locals here in NYC. If I upgrade to HD, I'm worried that this may not be the case. Are there web resources to determine if this may be the case? Most of the maps I've found are old maps, and I question whether they are applicable to HD. I don't want to undertake the upgrade if I could be out in the cold for DC locals.

2) Can one "move" too much to draw attention? If I choose to upgrade, should I:

a) move back to NYC, have someone install a new HD dish here, and then then move back to DC later?
b) buy the new HD dish and receiver and install it myself? I've never installed a dish before, but I'm pretty handy, and can usually get things working eventually.

3) I'm confused about the MPEG-4 upgrade threads. In a nutshell, should I wait to go to HD for a different receiver? Or should I grab the H20? If I want a HD DVR, should I be waiting for this HR20 to be available before I jump? Or could there be issues with the DVR and the moving? (does the box download program info from a phone, or from the Net? should I care?)

Thanks so much for all of the help!

Since were on the subject, What is the average range of a spotbeam?

I live about 150 miles away from the local channels I currently receive. Is that close enough for HD locals too? or am I wasting time & money going with the 5 LNB?

directvfreak said:
I think DC and NYC is on a different spotbeam. It's questionable to wether you could get DC locals or not. Why not get NYC locals?

Are you saying this for HD spotbeams? Are you basing this on some thing you know of, or just a hunch? Any web resources that I could look at?

Thanks again. (NYC locals don't have the daily sports coverage I'm looking for)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)