Hd Stb

Status
Please reply by conversation.
OK thats 299.oo$ ? I had D* for 8 years before switching to voom last Dec. but they said they would give me a box for 150 with install They realy liked me I guess never missed a payment or late. 300 is a little more than I wanted to spend I have 3 regular boxes already for my other TV's

This is a "newbie" question, but assuming my "neighbor" had a HD box he would sell me...I'd still be responsible for purchasing and installing the dish myself? Does the box see signal strength on the antenna,and then you call D* to activate it?

Also, is there any websites that discusss the pros and cons of the hd receivers...like a comparison?

thx

If you are subscribing to DIRECTV for the first time and do not have service, my company would send you a new 18x20 dish and new unused access card. We can also pay for a professional technician to take care of the install or pay you directly. You could also get up to 3 additional basic receiver for free.

Yes, the set top box has a audible and visual signal strength meter and after the install is complete you would call DIRECTV to activate the service.

Here's a list of all of the receivers ever made in order of best to worst. This list is my personal and professional opinion.

1. DIRECTV HR10-250 (HD DVR)
2. LG/Sony/Hughes LSS-32000A/HD300/HTL-HD
3. LG-Zenith/Sony HD-SAT520/HD200
4. Toshiba DST-3100
5. DIRECTV H10
5. RCA DTC210
3. Samsung SIR T360
6. Hughes/Mits/Toshiba/Philips E86/HD5/DST3000/DSHD800A
7. LG-Zenith DTV1080
8. Sony HD100
9. RCA DTC100
10. Samsung SIR T160
11. Panasonic TU-HDS20

-Robert

Robert I can't believe you rated the Hughes so low. It has been the best box I have had. I also have a Samsung and there is no way it is better than the Hughes. The Hughes should be rated 3rd or 4th at worst.

ramy, thanks and actually I would agree with you except for two things, the Samsung SIR-T360 has simultaneous HD/SD output and does not run as hot as the Hughes E86.

Actually, I love the Hughes E86 and have a very warm spot in my heart for this terrific HD STB. I was one of the 25 original Alpha and then Beta testers for Hughes and DIRECTV in 1998 with the E86. It had a hand wired board and we were sent chips to swap out for every firmware upgrade they made as it was before DIRECTV had satellite firmware upgrading. It was a very exciting time viewing and testing ATSC and satellite MPEG-2 HD.

-Robert

I just bought one of the LG-Zenith HD-SAT520 STB's from Robert and I love this box. It picks up all my local channels with my OTA and has a great picture. I could not be any happier. I also got 2 RCA Tivo's from him as well. This is a great company and a true joy to deal with. I would highly recommend Value Electronics and Roberts opinion.

Randy

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
ramy, thanks and actually I would agree with you except for two things, the Samsung SIR-T360 has simultaneous HD/SD output and does not run as hot as the Hughes E86.

Actually, I love the Hughes E86 and have a very warm spot in my heart for this terrific HD STB. I was one of the 25 original Alpha and then Beta testers for Hughes and DIRECTV in 1998 with the E86. It had a hand wired board and we were sent chips to swap out for every firmware upgrade they made as it was before DIRECTV had satellite firmware upgrading. It was a very exciting time viewing and testing ATSC and satellite MPEG-2 HD.

-Robert

Yes your right about SD/HD at the same time and the heat problem. I wish the Samsung had some of the features of the Hughes though, then it would get higher ratings for me. Like the Turbo Tune and the single line guide are some of the best features on a box. I really wish the HD Tivo had them too.

ramy said:
Yes your right about SD/HD at the same time and the heat problem. I wish the Samsung had some of the features of the Hughes though, then it would get higher ratings for me. Like the Turbo Tune and the single line guide are some of the best features on a box. I really wish the HD Tivo had them too.

Overall, Hughes and LG made the very best DIRECTV STBs.

-Robert

Robert I agree with you about #11. Panasonic TU-HDS20! I bought 2 of those when they first came out and still have them today. They are slow, noisy, they reboot all time and did I mention they a SLOW! The only reason I still use the bastards is because I spent around $1600 for them, but now I see they really arent worth $16. The only positive thing about them is they still work but that dosen't count when they are so SLOOOOOW!

Do the HD-10 receivers have an integrated diplexer? I want to combine OTA and satellite feed and I know I need an diplexor by the dish/antenna to combine the signals. Just need to know if I need a diplexer at the receiver as well or if it is already built-in.

I would talk to D* retention group if you are an existing customer, or even a new customer (they get the best deals}

As an existing customer I got HD upgrade with an RCA DTC 210 HD receiver and 3lnb oval dish installed w/6 months free HD programming... all for FREE!

The DTC 210 is a very good receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts