HD tailgating and transponder

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brfan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
Moving to HD tailgating this fall. Will be picking up a slimline 3 swm LNB, with a power inserter very soon. Which transponders do I need to hit? That being said, will this setup allow me to pick up my local stations as well?

Many thanks!!

All of them! :) Focus on getting the 101 satellite tuned in, then dither for the 99 and 103 sats. Assuming you have hd locals, they will be on 99 or 103.

Which transponders do I need to hit? That being said, will this setup allow me to pick up my local stations as well?
We need to know specifically what channels and TV DMA you're talking about to give specific answers.

I'm mainly looking for my locals in HD(ABC, CBS, etc) and ESPN. Not sure if I have answered your question or not. I can also go to a 5LNB dish if need be to make this happen.

Like I said, you want to zero in on the 101 satellite, then 99 and 103. Since most of the transponders on 101 are CONUS, it doesn't matter which one you use.

How far away from your residence will your tailgate location be? Unless you are going 100 miles or more you should be golden on the locals.

(Our "So. Cal. locals - 2 [CBS], 4 [NBC], 7 [ABC], 11 [FOX]" traveled all the way with us from So. Cal. to Minnesota on our recent RV trip.)

How far away from your residence will your tailgate location be? Unless you are going 100 miles or more you should be golden on the locals.

(Our "So. Cal. locals - 2 [CBS], 4 [NBC], 7 [ABC], 11 [FOX]" traveled all the way with us from So. Cal. to Minnesota on our recent RV trip.)

LA and NY locals (big four only) are on CONUS beams and therefore available throughout the country.

OP, we need to know where you are located and where your tailgating at to give you the answer to the Locals accurately.

As for what transponders you need, you mean which Sat's you need.
Like Chip has mentioned, for the most part if you can dial in the 101 and fine tune the 99 and 103, you should be great.
Do you have a Slimline 3 or 5 at home now, if you have a 5 and want your locals, you'll want a 5, if you have a 3 now at home, theres no need to get a 5 for what your trying to do.

You need to tell us your home zip code and the zip where you will be.

LA and NY locals (big four only) are on CONUS beams and therefore available throughout the country.
I expected them to follow us as 391 [CBS], 393 [NBC], 397 [ABC] & 399 [FOX]. I was just surprised that they stayed with us as 2, 4, 7, and 11. But, on second thought, I guess they are really the same signal just programmed to show as 2, 4, 7 and 11 for us west coast folks.

I expected them to follow us as 391 [CBS], 393 [NBC], 397 [ABC] & 399 [FOX]. I was just surprised that they stayed with us as 2, 4, 7, and 11. But, on second thought, I guess they are really the same signal just programmed to show as 2, 4, 7 and 11 for us west coast folks.

No, your receiver just maps them to the same transponders...

Luckily, where we tailgate, we are still inside our spotbeam for locals. Just wanted to make sure I hit the right transponders for them. And whether or not I need a 3LNB dish or a 5LNB dish

You need to tell us your home zip code, then we can answer the 3 or 5 LNB question....

The only reason to use a 5 lnb is if you want local sd channels.

i just noticed one other point from a post as well.. I have a 5LNB at home... so if I am understanding correctly I will need a 5LNB for the tailgate?

You don't have to have a 5 lnb, but it will make swapping from home to tailgating less complicated. Since you said in your first post that you are getting a swm lnb you must have a swm setup at home, yes?

I borrowed that action plan from other posts about getting a swm lnb... but to be honest, not sure exactly about my setup at home other than it is a 5LNB dish. Is there a way to tell?

Is the change from home to tailgating just in the setup of the receiver? (changing it from one dish type to another?) I dont mind doing that if a 3lnb dish is less expensive and easier to setup and as long as i get the locals in HD.

Thanks to everyone for humoring a semi-novice on this post!!!

To check for a swm setup, just press the dash key on the lower left. It will tell you if you have a swm setup. Whichever type of setup you have, it's better to have the same for the tailgating. It can be tedious changing from swm to non swm and back.

If you have a SWM5 at home, your would be best served to have a SWM5 for your tailgating setup. (I have a SWM3 at home and a SWM5 on the road and the receiver switches back and forth automatically with no problem. But, it appears you need 119 for your locals so you should stick with the SWM5 for your tailgate setup.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)