hd/ tivo/dvr/ mpeg 2 or 4 whining has to stop

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robert luzzi

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 5, 2004
western pa.
i have seen rants / rages all over all of the sites but i am sending this on the directv site as i am a directv tech who also does some voom.

when you buy a new ford car, would you go back sissy whining in 8 months that they didnt tell you that the next years model would be up graded or that audi was releasing the same thing in 2 months? NO YOU WOULDNT!!

when you go to target to buy a computer , would you go back in four months and whine that the salesman didnt tell you that a new model was coming out then??? or that wal mart or best buy was selling it cheaper????? no you wouldnt!!!

the subscribers are wanting better pictures, and directv is delivering, you aren't going to get a new computer or car for free so why do you expect an hd or tivo upgrade for free??!!??!! new subscribers get certian incentives free ,,,,so do new auto buyers and new hp and dell customers,, SO

WHY THE WHINING???????????????????????????? :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the entire issue, but when D* makes the switch to MPEG4 my current receiver is useless, correct?

When Ford comes out with a new auto a few months after I buy mine, I may be a bit peeved, but at least I can still drive the car I have.

Not to start a giant argument on this board, but....

D* reciever is a little different than a new car. You expect that after a year of a car it is can still drive and meets requirements to drive on all roads. You expect a computer to still be able to connect to the interent and do the functions it was designed to do.

If D* is switching to MPEG-4 and your old tivo isn't going to be able to show the new channels (which is why you bought it, to see HD channels) they better do something for the costumer, as I think they will.

EDIT
NOTE: Didn't see post above while I was typing this response, but I am happy someone agrees with me

and you will also be able to watch HD just not in mpeg 4 BUT as you do NOW

got it??????? :cool:

yoy will still be watching the same hd that YOU HAVE NOW,, whant an upgrade or a new compoter or anew 5 gig phone ?????
BUY IT!!!!!! :shocked

What bothers me is that DirecTV has stated that they will upgrade your boxes! You are not going to lose any functionality! Also, ALL of directv's programming is NOT switching to mpeg4, all SD will stay mpeg2 for the forseeable future, so not EVERY box is going to have to be switched out.

robert luzzi said:
and you will also be able to watch HD just not in mpeg 4 BUT as you do NOW

got it??????? :cool:

yoy will still be watching the same hd that YOU HAVE NOW,, whant an upgrade or a new compoter or anew 5 gig phone ?????
BUY IT!!!!!! :shocked
That would be perfectly acceptable to me, but I was under the impression that when the switch to MPEG4 was made, boom that's it, no more MPEG2

t6he point is directv is trying to get these products to market and must meet government figures that were put in place during clinton and were never acted on!

HD isnt all that right now ,im a directv tech who also does voom and from what ive seen ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,im waiting

i dont to be the first on the block , pay thru the nose and missout on great deals when they happen

............bob

show me the official qoute from someone in authority that directv would upgrade for free,,,,,,,,,and i do not want to hear CSR !!!!!!!

And my point is that I HAVE paid through the nose for my HT and HD content, I don't mind being the first guy on the block, and as long as D* is offering me these services and allowing people to purchase them, they shouldn't change the rules half way through the game and make me pay for new equipment simply because I was one of the first players.

robert luzzi said:
t6he point is directv is trying to get these products to market and must meet government figures that were put in place during clinton and were never acted on!

HD isnt all that right now ,im a directv tech who also does voom and from what ive seen ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,im waiting

i dont to be the first on the block , pay thru the nose and missout on great deals when they happen

............bob

That doesn't really make sense. What government figures are you talking about? The only motivation to move to mpeg4 is to get HD Local channels and more national HD channels.

J45p3r said:
That would be perfectly acceptable to me, but I was under the impression that when the switch to MPEG4 was made, boom that's it, no more MPEG2
I think alot of people are misunderstanding DAVE. At CES they made it perfectly clear that the new MPEG4 technology and MPEG2 will co-exist. Your HD channels however will become 4MPEG and all SD channels will remain MPEG2. Thats why switching out current HD Boxes will be needed and will not be so difficult, because at present the percentage of HD subscribers are substantially less than regular subs. I think DAVE has its plan laid out properly and will solve the issue of HD Tivo subs by providing the needed boxes free. :yes They annouce the first cities that will receive HD Locals, no doubt these cities will also have first pick at new MPEG4 cpable receivers for HD. Then, as time progress, the rest of the country. I just wish everyone calm down a little and look at the benefit the future hold at Directv. Think about it, hopefully within the next three years we will have at least 150+ National HD channels and its all because DAVE chose to convert to MPEG4 compression to give "US" more channels. :D

Joseph is correct, only HD will be broadcast in MPEG-4. But what's most important is that DIRECTV will be upgrading all HD customers equipment, new receivers, DVR's and antenna systems, which will make Bob and I very busy folks.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Joseph is correct, only HD will be broadcast in MPEG-4. But what's most important is that DIRECTV will be upgrading all HD customers equipment, new receivers, DVR's and antenna systems, which will make Bob and I very busy folks.

-Robert
Initally only HD locals will go in MPEG4, right? If that's the case I don't have to worry for a while since I'm way down the list on ever getting that (don't even have SD locals yet).

The releases aren't very clear as to if everything HD will switch at once or if the locals will be first. It would make SENSE, but who knows. Also, I'm curious if you have an HD box if that gets you a new one or if it has to be activated at the time they do the switchouts. I'm sure there will be answers in due time.

I think they are going to look at the current subscribers with active HD packages and receivers first!! Seems only reasonable!

robert luzzi said:
directv didnt change the rules, you will still recieve HD as you do now , if you want the mpeg 4 YOU PAY

I's my understanding that DIRECTV will take care of all DIRECTV HD customers with free equipment upgrades.

I had meetings with DIRECTV management at CES and this is what I have been told.

-Robert

robert luzzi said:
directv didnt change the rules, you will still recieve HD as you do now , if you want the mpeg 4 YOU PAY
Can you show me where it is said that all HD channels will be available in MPEG4 and MPEG2? I haven't seen/heard that anywhere (haven't really looked for it either).

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
I's my understanding that DIRECTV will take care of all DIRECTV HD customers with free equipment upgrades.

I had meetings with DIRECTV management at CES and this is what I have been told.

-Robert
That would make sese also as this will encourage others to subscribe without the hassel of trying to upgrade to a HD receiver!! Thats a really smart idea for DAVE! But think of how much money they are going to spend for something like that!$$$$$$$$ :shocked

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts