HD to SD Screen Sizes

RocketFoot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
Southwestern PA
What do you guys do when switching from HD to SD channels? On my TV, HD channels are full screen, but when I view an SD channel, it is just a centered box on the screen. Is this normal? If so, what setting do you use for the best SD view...Zoom, Wide Zoom or Full? If I leave Zoom on, it makes the EPG screens stretched out! Need some veteran advice here! LOL

What do you guys do when switching from HD to SD channels? On my TV, HD channels are full screen, but when I view an SD channel, it is just a centered box on the screen. Is this normal? If so, what setting do you use for the best SD view...Zoom, Wide Zoom or Full? If I leave Zoom on, it makes the EPG screens stretched out! Need some veteran advice here! LOL

Yes the centered box SD is normal. I do not zoom at all. What it is is what it is. Zooming distorts picture and makes SD look even worse.

As long as you have a 16:9 HD TV, make sure that the TV setting is normal and not zoomed. Use the format key "#" to set the zoom mode that you like best on an SD channel and set normal on an HD channel. The 622 will remember the settings separately for SD and HD. Then use the format button to use a temporary zoom setting, if you like, when an HD program is broadcast in 4:3. With an HD TV the best guide setting is expanded, normal font with a viewing window. The guide display will be the same no matter what type channel that you are on. If not, it's because of your TV setting, not the 622.

Pat:D
</IMG>

I've got a Panasonic 50" plasma and use the same guide display Pat does (expanded w/ viewing window) and when I view SD channels, we use "partial zoom" about 80% of the time. When SD channels show letterbox content, we use full zoom. As said before, it makes SD content look worse, but that just is more incentive for us to watch more HD! :)

Format key worked great for me. I settled on Partial Zoom for SD channels and Normal for HD channels. I just hated the thought of having a large screen display and not taking full advantage of it!

I, on the other hand, hate the thought of watching a DISTORTED picture just for the sake of filling up my screen - I never, never do it. Both strech and partial zoom modes are distorting your picture - zoom mode does not distort, but cuts off the top & bottom for the so that the sides are filled in - not much better.

I simply cannot understand spending thousands of dollars for a HDTV, and then purposely deciding to distort my picture.

But - to each his own.....

I, on the other hand, hate the thought of watching a DISTORTED picture just for the sake of filling up my screen - I never, never do it. Both strech and partial zoom modes are distorting your picture - zoom mode does not distort, but cuts off the top & bottom for the so that the sides are filled in - not much better.

I simply cannot understand spending thousands of dollars for a HDTV, and then purposely deciding to distort my picture.

Partial Zoom isn't too bad...I am very critical of mp PQ. The other modes did make faces elongated and cut edges of the picture, but I settled on Partial Zoom as acceptable! I do use Normal format for all HD channels and it is even more amazing!

With a plasma, you have no choice but to stretch/zoom or you risk damaging the tv. I have gotten used to the stretch and it doesn't bother me. The SD picture is not good to begin with, so there isn't much to preserve. Stretch away....

I agree! However, on my RPTV I do use the partial zoom as I worry about screen burn-in. On my upstairs 32" LCD I leave both settings as "normal". Don't have to worry so much about burn-in on the LCD.

Format key worked great for me. I settled on Partial Zoom for SD channels and Normal for HD channels. I just hated the thought of having a large screen display and not taking full advantage of it!

CRT and Plasma should keep black bar viewing limited because screen burn-in. SD looks bad enough unstretched. I could live with stretched or zoom if I had CRT or Plasma but prefer original aspect ratio.

What do you guys do when switching from HD to SD channels? On my TV, HD channels are full screen, but when I view an SD channel, it is just a centered box on the screen. Is this normal?

Yes.. no different than watching widescreen DVDs on a regular TV. Just on the sides instead of the top and bottom. Its all personal preference but the only times I zoom into SD is when widescreen is shown on a standard channel.... like BSG on sci-fi. The quality suffers a little but its often better than having a small picture inside a big black picture frame. One thing I never do is stretch SD just so it fills the screen... and in the process making actors appear 100 lbs heavier. Something I am sure they are not fond of ;-)

CRT and Plasma should keep black bar viewing limited because screen burn-in.

Set your SD to greybar and turn you brightness and contrast down below 50%.

Will nearly eliminate burn in, which is only the fatiguing of phosphors unevenly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)