HD Tuner Count Limits

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The REAL reason behind the limit is signal theft. Dish doesn't want someone with a average, single family home having 10 receivers on their account to share with friends, family and other households. This isn't a fixed limit and exceptions will be made, but stricter security measures go in effect to validate the legitimate use. I've worked on HUGE multi-million dollar homes with 15+ receivers and a Dish tech was required to visit the home to verify it was legit before they were authorized.

The REAL reason behind the limit is signal theft. Dish doesn't want someone with a average, single family home having 10 receivers on their account to share with friends, family and other households. This isn't a fixed limit and exceptions will be made, but stricter security measures go in effect to validate the legitimate use. I've worked on HUGE multi-million dollar homes with 15+ receivers and a Dish tech was required to visit the home to verify it was legit before they were authorized.

I don't think signal theft is the primary concern regarding the tuner limit. If you have a certain # of boxes, especially 6, Dish will REQUIRE subs to have ALL the boxes connected to a phone line or broadband at all times, and they will audit, by telephone and shut you down if necessary. It is extremely difficult to get this resolved after a shut-down. There are many horror stories regarding this.

It really is the cost of the subsidizing equipment. Wall Street already hates satellite's current costs to gain subs, and Charlie loathes to spend the money. Remember Charlie is happy to provide four 612's. at his full or partial cost.

I just had a go-round with Dish two weeks ago about this. As it was explained to me (if I understood it), you can have up to 12 tuners, they just won't lease you more than 4. I have 3 HDTVs, two 622s (my limit), a 211, a 501 and 508. I've been with them since their first year, and I couldn't get them to budge on leasing me a third receiver. I'll be selling the latter two soon, and wanted to lease a 722 to replace them. IMHO they are not keeping up with customers who are upgrading all their TVs to HD. As prices continue to drop more people will .....................

They should have been willing to lease you up to four 612's as a solution. However, some subs don't want to lose the TV2 feature. In that case, it becomes a compromise: to get something, you have to give something up.

The 621 and Dish's willingness to lease up to FOUR of these boxes (for 4 HDTV's in a households) IS thire way of keeping up with customers upgrading several TV's to HD. Granted, the 612's don't have TV2 nor PIP, but that is how Charlie can afford to give away FOUR of those things. If we want the top line of everything, at some point (beyond the 4 tuner limit) we will have to pay for it.

Did they not offer you some 612's? Are you willing to give up the TV2 capable boxes and PIP? If you're not willing to give the TV2 functionality or PIP, then one cannot blame Dish.

Does anyone know the real reason why DN limits customers to no more than four (4) HD tuners per household? In my case, I have a VIP622 and VIP722--each with two (2) HD tuners. I want to add another HD TV, but DN will not allow me another tuner. DN reps have given me multiple and conflicting reasons. Curious if anyone on this forum know the 'real' reason.
The general consensus is that if you are willing to pay for additional tuners ,you can have them. But Dish seems to want to cap it at 6. However I did a service call three weeks ago for a cust that had three 322's and a 625..
The main reason I would imagine is to discourage account stacking.

Wrong, the 612 is a dual tuner single output receiver.
Claude is a sales parter and he says the 612 counts as ONE tuner.. I thought as you do the 612 counts as two..But here's the tie breaker, I have installed two 612's and two 211's leased on one account..Just once. And that was on a DNS fulfillemnt w/o...So who knows...
Anyone? Anyone?......

As noted in my sig I have a 722, a 622 and a 322 all leased (that is 6 tuners - albeit only 4 of them HD).
Lake...you have two HD tuners..one each on your HD dvr's...But yes, 6 tuners total. As one of the other posters said, there are exceptions. There is one constant with Dish , if a sub bitches enough and uses the "C"(cancel) word, Dish will make some pretty good concessions.

I have two ViP722 dual satellite tuner HD DVRs, and one 508 single satellite tuner SD DVR. Former is leased, latter is owned. There are only two of us in the house most times now. I expect at some point I will sell the 508 and make that TV OTA only, using the attached DTV PAL. That TV is SD, others are HD. OK, I also have an SD TV in the exercise room.

I got the ViP722 vice the ViP612 because the specs were better, not because of any second TV capability. They should up the ViP612 to match the ViP722, save for the second TV, and address it's other complaints. THEN it would be seen as a comparable option to more of us.
What about simply mirroring the tv2 output the room with the 508? your .. I do it all the time. I just suggest to the customer to use the tv 2 remote on the spare room if they need to ..How I come to this is I ask them how often is someone watching tv 2 in this room and the other room....If they say "not very" then I suggest the mirror outlet..I I have a spare remote on the trcuk (usually do) and the customer is plaesant to deal with, I do them a solid and give them a spare remote. We have tons we are tring to get rid of....Plus it's just good customer relations.

Claude is a sales parter and he says the 612 counts as ONE tuner.. I thought as you do the 612 counts as two..But here's the tie breaker, I have installed two 612's and two 211's leased on one account..Just once. And that was on a DNS fulfillemnt w/o...So who knows...
Anyone? Anyone?......

That is not what I was saying. The post I responded to said that the 612 was a single tuner receiver. I was correcting the poster and pointing out that it actually has 2 tuners. I am well aware that it only counts as 1 tuner towards the limit. I believe Charlie even mentioned that fact on a chat earlier this year (it may have been one of the guys on the tech chat, not sure).

Lake...you have two HD tuners..one each on your HD dvr's...But yes, 6 tuners total. As one of the other posters said, there are exceptions. There is one constant with Dish , if a sub bitches enough and uses the "C"(cancel) word, Dish will make some pretty good concessions.

By the way, I didn't "bitch" to get anything. I simply asked a CSR and got lucky.

Dish will REQUIRE subs to have ALL the boxes connected to a phone line or broadband at all times

That's not true. Not everyone has a land line and/or broadband internet these days; plus there are many receivers out there in RV's, campers and busses. For those accounts with receivers that don't call-home periodically, Dish charges you a $5 monthly fee.

That's not true. Not everyone has a land line and/or broadband internet these days; plus there are many receivers out there in RV's, campers and busses. For those accounts with receivers that don't call-home periodically, Dish charges you a $5 monthly fee.

Precisely. And that pattern of dropping land lines in favor of VOIP or Cell phoine is continuing.
D* used to require phone lines for all systems with two or more receivers. That requirement no longer exists.
Although I have seen posts on here from techs that work for companies that require the tech install a hardwire phone line to receivers where no phone jack is available......At no additional charge...
If Dish ever enacted this requirement, they'd run into a tremendous amount of resistance for those of is the field

According to Dish Network, there is NO limit on tuners.

Additional Tuners and Receivers. We may allow you to place additional receivers on your account in our sole discretion. Each additional receiver will be authorized to receive the same Services as your initial receiver. This option is only available if your initial DISH Network receiver and all additional receiver(s) are located at the same residence and are continuously connected to your same land-based telephone line. Unless otherwise specified in the customer agreement(s), if any, applicable to the promotion(s) pursuant to which you are receiving Services and/or Equipment, DISH Network will charge you a monthly additional outlet programming access fee (“Additional Outlet Programming Access Fee”) for each tuner activated on your account beyond the first. If you desire to receive Services at two different residential locations, you must open a separate account for each location. You agree that you will not directly or indirectly use a single account for the purpose of authorizing Services for multiple DISH Network receivers that are not all located in the same residence and connected to your same land-based telephone line. If we later determine that you did, we may disconnect your Services and, in addition to all other applicable fees, you agree to pay us the difference between the amounts actually received by us and the full retail price for the Services authorized for each DISH Network receiver on your account.

DISH Network - About Us - 1.888.825.2557

I just had a go-round with Dish two weeks ago about this. As it was explained to me (if I understood it), you can have up to 12 tuners, they just won't lease you more than 4. I have 3 HDTVs, two 622s (my limit), a 211, a 501 and 508. I've been with them since their first year, and I couldn't get them to budge on leasing me a third receiver. I'll be selling the latter two soon, and wanted to lease a 722 to replace them. IMHO they are not keeping up with customers who are upgrading all their TVs to HD. As prices continue to drop more people will .....................
This is the same thing I am dealing with now with Dish. I have 2 Vip622's and have 4 HD TV's. I have 2 HD tv on Vip 622's and 2 on Direct Tv. Because Dish will not let me get 4 622's. Last time I called Dish I asked if I can switch both of my 622's with 612's. I was told that I can only switch 1 622 for 2 612's and I would have to pay $75 for the second 612. I could not get them to budge. That is not solving my problem. I want to switch every thing on one bill eather Dish or Direct. I was told by Direct that I can get as many receivers as I wanted leased. I have 2 HD boxes and 1 SD box leased with direct. All dual tuner and 2 TV hook ups. So I guess that I have 6 receivers. 1 box counting as 2 receivers. I had to fight with dish to get my second 622 leased. Dish need to change the way they lease receivers. More and more people are getting HD tv's can they (Dish) will not do any thing about it to keep customers.

I am running both of my 622's in single mode on one tv. I am also hooked up to the 1000.4 dish now with the new G3 smart cards. Got every thing on one dish now I need to get service with one provider. Dish or Direct. Which ever one will get me what I want and need for my Tv's.

I have the Every Thing pack with all channels and all HD and local channels. Dish makes more money off of my account wth PayPerView movies to. I have been with Dish for a long time.

This is the same thing I am dealing with now with Dish. I have 2 Vip622's and have 4 HD TV's. I have 2 HD tv on Vip 622's and 2 on Direct Tv. Because Dish will not let me get 4 622's. Last time I called Dish I asked if I can switch both of my 622's with 612's. I was told that I can only switch 1 622 for 2 612's and I would have to pay $75 for the second 612. I could not get them to budge. That is not solving my problem. I want to switch every thing on one bill eather Dish or Direct. I was told by Direct that I can get as many receivers as I wanted leased. I have 2 HD boxes and 1 SD box leased with direct. All dual tuner and 2 TV hook ups. So I guess that I have 6 receivers. 1 box counting as 2 receivers. I had to fight with dish to get my second 622 leased. Dish need to change the way they lease receivers. More and more people are getting HD tv's can they (Dish) will not do any thing about it to keep customers.

I am running both of my 622's in single mode on one tv. I am also hooked up to the 1000.4 dish now with the new G3 smart cards. Got every thing on one dish now I need to get service with one provider. Dish or Direct. Which ever one will get me what I want and need for my Tv's.

I have the Every Thing pack with all channels and all HD and local channels. Dish makes more money off of my account wth PayPerView movies to. I have been with Dish for a long time.
Ok you have a bunch of Dish receivers and tuners. With the additonal outlet fees you are paying each month, would shelling out $75 for a 612 really be that big of a bite? I mean, if you want the thing why not pay for it? So what. You pay once and it's over. Yes yes yes. Principles. But is Dish not like any other company that is in busines to make money?
Lok it's no shoit to me if you like Dish or Direct....Threaten to cancel and see where that goes. I have seen many cusomers get whatever goodies they ask for free of charge by threatening to cancel.

Ok, here's an update. I've been with Dish within a year or so of their offering DBS. I currently have 2 leased 622s, and an owned 211, 501, and 508. CSRs have not budged on leasing a 3rd receiver, even though I've explained that yes, I actually do own 4 HDTVs, and a fifth 4:3 tube that "letterboxes" and displays 1080i just fine.

A polite email to CEO@dishnetwork to lease an additional receiver got me an offer to lease two additional 722s to replace the 501 and 508 (I only wanted one 722), but that they would cost me $150 (usually $300) for someone to come out and install ?????? Pretty sure I can unhook the "F" connector from the 501 and plug in the 722 without adult supervision (I'm using a DPP44 switch).

So, has anyone been able to avoid the service call fees, or perhaps is it really to verify all receivers are in one place? Other than an installer's van instead of Fedex dropping off the receiver, what do I get from spending the $75?

At least in my experience, the 4 tuner limit is not absolute, and per their internal policies, may be exceeded.

Ok, here's an update. I've been with Dish within a year or so of their offering DBS. I currently have 2 leased 622s, and an owned 211, 501, and 508. CSRs have not budged on leasing a 3rd receiver, even though I've explained that yes, I actually do own 4 HDTVs, and a fifth 4:3 tube that "letterboxes" and displays 1080i just fine.

A polite email to CEO@dishnetwork to lease an additional receiver got me an offer to lease two additional 722s to replace the 501 and 508 (I only wanted one 722), but that they would cost me $150 (usually $300) for someone to come out and install ?????? Pretty sure I can unhook the "F" connector from the 501 and plug in the 722 without adult supervision (I'm using a DPP44 switch).

So, has anyone been able to avoid the service call fees, or perhaps is it really to verify all receivers are in one place? Other than an installer's van instead of Fedex dropping off the receiver, what do I get from spending the $75?

At least in my experience, the 4 tuner limit is not absolute, and per their internal policies, may be exceeded.

Sounds like they may not know that you have a DPP44 switch installed at your location. Have you sent a follow up email explaining that you already have the switch needed for the installation and all that would be required would be hooking up the cable to a DPP separator for each receiver and then hooking up the separator to the 722?

Their installer installed the DPP44. It's been so long, I don't remember if the 622s came with a separator, maybe that's the need for an "install".

I did mention the DPP44 in my response to Dish, I'll probably hear back sometime on Monday.

According to Dish Network, there is NO limit on tuners.

Additional Tuners and Receivers. We may allow you to place additional receivers on your account in our sole discretion. Each additional receiver will be authorized to receive the same Services as your initial receiver. This option is only available if your initial DISH Network receiver and all additional receiver(s) are located at the same residence and are continuously connected to your same land-based telephone line. Unless otherwise specified in the customer agreement(s), if any, applicable to the promotion(s) pursuant to which you are receiving Services and/or Equipment, DISH Network will charge you a monthly additional outlet programming access fee (“Additional Outlet Programming Access Fee”) for each tuner activated on your account beyond the first. If you desire to receive Services at two different residential locations, you must open a separate account for each location. You agree that you will not directly or indirectly use a single account for the purpose of authorizing Services for multiple DISH Network receivers that are not all located in the same residence and connected to your same land-based telephone line. If we later determine that you did, we may disconnect your Services and, in addition to all other applicable fees, you agree to pay us the difference between the amounts actually received by us and the full retail price for the Services authorized for each DISH Network receiver on your account.

DISH Network - About Us - 1.888.825.2557

That's not how I read it. "We may allow you to place additional receivers on your account in our sole discretion" does not mean all the tuners you want.

I'll probably get shot down for this ... so try to be nice ... ;)

The 612 is essentially a 622 but can only service one TV, you can not "swap" the pictures, and do not have picture in picture. To me, those are pretty big features.

Why does Dish not charge for dual mode for the 622 and the 722 like they do with the extended hard drives?

So, if you want a 622 (or a 722) to use the TV2 outs, you pay a "one time fee" and now your TV2 outs work. Because you are using the 2 tuners independently, if Dish wants to up the tuner count, so be it.

Pretty simple ... no need for a 612 ...

So what are the deals now ... $50 for a 612 ... $75 for a 622 ... $100 for a 722? (I am probably off here).

Why not charge $50 for a 622 with just TV1 enabled or $75 for a 622 with both outs enabled.

You get the idea ...

To me ... hardware wise ... there was no need for the 612 ...

Flame away ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)