HD TV purchase

playfulpete

Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
pa
Think it's finally time to upgrade my viewing experience. You'd laugh if I told you what I am currently using. Anyhow, want to get a hd tv even though I don't yet subscribe to hd. The tv I'm thinking of getting is Panasonic 42in plasma with 720p, currently on sale for $599. This is in my price range and seems a good deal to me. The 1080p plasmas are out my price range, so I would like to know if the difference is substantial. Also, the lcd tvs with 1080p are in this price range, so would I be better off getting the higher pixels?

I like the Samsung 42" LCD LED with 120HZ or 240HZ myself. They are I believe the highest rated and the latest technology. Great pictures and dark blacks. I would never get a 720 plasma.

You might want to check out Viewing Distance Calculator and see if your screen size vs. viewing distance would make any difference on the resolution you need. If the screen is too small and far away from where you're sitting getting a 1080p might be a waste of money since your eye couldn't tell the difference anyway.

I have a year and a half old 50" 720p Panasonic Plasma and I would say that it rivals anything out there right now. I really don't see a need to go with 1080P especially with anything under 50".

I like the Samsung 42" LCD LED with 120HZ or 240HZ myself. They are I believe the highest rated and the latest technology. Great pictures and dark blacks. I would never get a 720 plasma.

Not within the price range he asked for. The Panasonic is a nice set.

S~

If roughly $600 is your price range, then I shudder to think what brand/model/size of 1080p LCD you could get for that amount. Perhaps a 37' Insignia, Vizio, or Sanyo? For $800 you could get a decent 40" Samsung on Amazon.

With that said, the 720p 42" Panny plasma would by far give you the best bang/PQ for the buck. Last year at this time I got a 32" 720p Samsung LCD for $600 for the bedroom and now wish I had waited to get one of these Panny plasmas after they dropped in price. I wouldn't worry about the 720p in that size, unless you'll only be sitting less than four feet away.

Thanks for the input guys. I guess my question is; would it be worth it to spend a few hundred more to either get a 1080p lcd, or 1080p plasma? I'll do an eyeball test this weekend to see how much difference we're talking about, but I'd like to hear from experienced tv'ers about their suggestions.

Thanks for the input guys. I guess my question is; would it be worth it to spend a few hundred more to either get a 1080p lcd, or 1080p plasma? I'll do an eyeball test this weekend to see how much difference we're talking about, but I'd like to hear from experienced tv'ers about their suggestions.

IMHO if you spend any extra money and have the room I would go for a larger set. I have seen comparisons (not side by side) and to me there is not a noticeable difference between 1080P and 720P unless you get into the above 50" sets at close distances. Personally I wouldn't get "hung up" on 1080P. Depending on what you're hooking up to it make sure you have enough HDMI ports as well. Just my $.02 worth.:)

IMHO if you spend any extra money and have the room I would go for a larger set. I have seen comparisons (not side by side) and to me there is not a noticeable difference between 1080P and 720P unless you get into the above 50" sets at close distances. Personally I wouldn't get "hung up" on 1080P. Depending on what you're hooking up to it make sure you have enough HDMI ports as well. Just my $.02 worth.:)

Agreed, that's why back in post #3 I gave him the link to the calculator.

OK done deal. Viewed a plasma panasonic at a local department store, where it was on sale for $800. I bought it at Sears though online for $599 and will pick it up this evening. If you use their credit card it is interest free for 14 months. Seems like a no brainer. Glad to get input here, next will be to get a dish; 1000.2 or 1000.4?

You will be happy. I have a Samsung 720p 42" plasma. My Dad has a 42" 1080p LCD. The plasma smokes it . Plasma is still the best bang for the buck.

I would go with the Plasma for sure. The only reason my 23" bedroom set is LCD is due to the fact that Plasma cannot be had for under 40" and that is WAY too large.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)