HD upgrade installation question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rossconn

Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
idaho
Okay,

My parents have 3 flat screens. We want to upgrade to hd with directv. We tried once before but had problems.

This is what happened. Tech came look at multi switch in the house then went out and and installed new 5LNB dish. Ran the wires to the multi switch in house and then said that cable going from multi switch to room with tv that we wanted the HD to go to was older and would not deal with the voltage that the HD receive would send on it to power the multi switch. So 4 hrs later he put back the old multi switch and put everything back to normal. So we have 5 lnb dish with standard dtv.

My question is the following.

We want to upgrade to HD. we have 3 lines ran thoughout the house with tvs and standard receivers. We want to a least have 1 tv with HD DVR with one wire is that possible?

What do we need to ask or tell Directv for install?

Thanks

You won't be able to do the DVR w/ only 1 line. All DVR's require 2 lines w/ DirecTV.

As for the other problem, you probably have RG59 cable and that's why the installer said that. I've yet to see a receiver not function correctly simply because it is RG59 cable. I've ran dual-tuner HD DVR's for Dish Network on a single RG59 line and they've worked for years. Even if all the lines are RG59, the collective power from all the receivers should still power the dish fine even if each individual line will not carry the voltage required.

Okay,

My parents have 3 flat screens. We want to upgrade to hd with directv. We tried once before but had problems.

This is what happened. Tech came look at multi switch in the house then went out and and installed new 5LNB dish. Ran the wires to the multi switch in house and then said that cable going from multi switch to room with tv that we wanted the HD to go to was older and would not deal with the voltage that the HD receive would send on it to power the multi switch. So 4 hrs later he put back the old multi switch and put everything back to normal. So we have 5 lnb dish with standard dtv.

My question is the following.

We want to upgrade to HD. we have 3 lines ran thoughout the house with tvs and standard receivers. We want to a least have 1 tv with HD DVR with one wire is that possible?

What do we need to ask or tell Directv for install?

Thanks

Welcome to the site. !

You may be able to do the single line thing, but it depends on where you are located and if D* is placing them in your area yet.
Ask them when you call, they may not know but the local installation group will, get that number from them if they don't connect you to them.

As for the voltage issue, the guy probably didn't want to do the job.
They are suppose to use RG6, they will use existing cable if its' usable, if it's RG59 they normally will use it. Not always, in which case the guy would run new cable.

Voltage should not be an issue

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)