HD upgrade options for SD customer.

Mike_H

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Twin Cities, MN
I needed a new TV for the bedroom, so I took the plunge and moved the 28" T.V. out of the family room into the bedroom and bought a new DLP HDTV for the family room.

I currently have a Dish 500 dish with a legacy QUAD LNB feeding 3 receivers. A 501, a 510, and a 522. The 522 is in the family room and is used primarily as a single unit, with sometimes switched to dual to run a rf signal to a tv on the 3 season porch, or garage.

I currently have AT120 + HBO. I'm figuring to give HD Platinum the call, and I have MPLS locals and I see those are available in HD.

Questions
Will HD Platinum work like the Everything pack and eliminate the DVR fees?
With the $199 upgrade, will that include any new Dish, LNB or switches necessary to get 110, 119 plus any other sats for HD plus my locals in HD?

Thanks for any assitance you can provide. I haven't been paying close attention to HD stuff from dish so it's pretty new to me.

Installing next week. I own the 501 and 510, so I'll swap out the 522 for a new 622. 199.99 includes any new dish equipment necessary i.e. switches or actual dish.

Took a long time on the call as CSR said the system was slow but I'm signed up.

yeah, but the 501 and 510 are mine, I tell ya, mine. And it works better in my setup to have 3 boxes with one dual tuner rather than 2 dual tuners.

From a dollar for dollar perspective, yeah, probably that would have worked as I could sell off the 501 and 510 and make back any costs for the switch to the HD. If I end up getting a second HD tv down the road, that may be what happens. But for now it seemed easier on both my current wiring, and my mind to just swap out the 522 for a hd receiver.

Yeah, we get it. I sold my 501 for $150, not sure what you would get for the 510 and assuming you are leasing the 522, you won't see a dime for that receiver. Don't know about your HD locals since you have not said what your dma is. The HD locals (if available for you) will be part of the local package. Platinum with locals are $105 plus the two additional receiver fees (you will probably be charge $6 on the 622.

Mike_H said:
I currently have AT120 + HBO. I'm figuring to give HD Platinum the call, and I have MPLS locals and I see those are available in HD.

And I like keeping the 501 hooked up just so someone at Dish can run a report on DVR receivers in the stream that they don't get any extra DVR fees from. Gives them something to strategize on besides how to make statements they have no intention on following through with.

Yep, locals are coming.

Just got it installed. Dish 1000 antenna and a DP34 switch along with the 622 to get installed with my other 2 receivers. The 622 is pickier about the cable quality, one existing cable had signs of water migration to about 30 feet down the line which the installer replaced by spicing in a new piece.

Another cable in the wall that was there when I moved in wasn't working. Worked for the 522, but not the 622. Found it was rg6 into the wall but somewhere in there it was spliced into something less than RG59. Ran a new wire for that and spliced it into the existing RG6 from the sat.

The installer replaced all ends with new water resistant ends as well as new ground block with rubber boots for over the connections.

62 signal strength for 129 has me a bit nervous as my system with 90's on 110 and 119 had been fairly resistant to rain fade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)