Weak Signal Strengths on Satellite 129

retexan599

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Sugar Land, TX
Several transponders on Sat 129 (my HD channels) show persistently low values and I am wondering if my readings are typical. My situation is:
  • Dish 1000 on the roof
  • ViP622
  • Philips 50PF9631D plasma
  • HDMI interface from ViP622 to Philips TV
  • house is in Houston, TX
  • installation was done by DISH technicians in July
Typical signal strength values (clear sky) for my Sat 129 transponders are:
Tp 06 = 35-45
Tp 11 = 40-50
Tp 19 = 65-80
Tp 22 = 00-40 (most often around 30, but often below 30 and sometimes zero)
Tp 23 = 50-60
Tp 27 = 40-50
Tp 30 = 60-70
Tp 31 = 70-80

The channels on Tp 22 frequently break up (break up point seems to be below about signal strength of 30). Signals on Sat 110 are all routinely 85-95 and Sat 119 (my SD channels) is normally around 90-100.

If my signal strengths are abnormally low I will notify DISH and ask them to make adjustments, but thought I would check here first. Are my 129 readings abnormal?

Thanks

Those look pretty low. My highest readings (like yours) are on TP's 30 and 31, but are around 88 or so. The lowest are in the 50's, and unfortunately one of the low ones is TP #1, which the KC HD LIL's are on. FWIW, the signals seem to have improved somewhat since I first got my 622/ D1000 in April. There was some talk that E* was going to bump the power up a couple of months ago. I don't know if that was across the board, or only for the TP's for LIL's on the west coast, which have always been problematic.

Brad

Check signal on TP17, in your area you should be able to get right around 70% if not more, the further west you go, the more your signal is going to decrease.. I've got a friend in washington state that got about 70, which is pretty good for west coast, especially NW coast.

If you get less than 65-70, I would call dish and let them know.. see what they can work out for you.

dnet said:
Check signal on TP17, in your area you should be able to get right around 70% if not more, the further west you go, the more your signal is going to decrease.. I've got a friend in washington state that got about 70, which is pretty good for west coast, especially NW coast.

If you get less than 65-70, I would call dish and let them know.. see what they can work out for you.

I did check Sat 129, TP 17 a few times today, and it was pretty steady at 69-71 signal strength. I will put it on my list of regular checks and see how it does from day to day. Thanks.

The signal should read at least 70%. Once you get below about 45% the receiver isn't able to hold a good lock on the signal. The dish may just not be tuned correctly, or it could be that there is something partially obstructing the signal, such as a roof overhang or a tree. Call dish and have them send a tech to look at it.

what's on 129

Here is a coarse look at what's on the various transponders of 129.

Here is a finer list of what's on the various channels of 129.

And this is another nice chart of what is on 129.

Here is a somewhat accurate map of the coverage area of the 129 bird.

By reading other threads, you'll come to know that around the edges of the supposed coverage area, you may experience significant signal fall off.
Florida, South Texas, west coast, the US northwest, and New England are especially affected.

Also, there is discussion that the signal levels fluctuate on a 20 minute cycle.
Take signal readings every five minutes for an hour, and verify how they fluctuate.
Be sure your proposed signal solution (bigger dish, etc) takes into account the lowest signal level you see during that hour.

Last edited:
Is 129 a new bird? Is it running the transpnders at double power like it does 110 and 119?

Best the installer could get with Dish 1000 dish was 62, 63 for most transponders on 129. In in the Mpls/St. Paul area.

"Is 129 a new bird?" Nope, it's an old wounded dying bird that was moved from 119 to 129. It wasn't designed for the 129 slot and I don't know what the h$ll they were thinking when they moved it there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts