Satellite 129 Issues

Technology advances. If you don't advance with it you get left behind. Seems like you've been left behind. Hard to believe in this day and age someone would actually complain about losing duplicated SD channels and then act as if Dish did it just to shaft it's customers. You talk about a lack of proper planning and I agree, you did not properly plan for this eventuality. The 922 is no longer supported and past EOL. Dish offers upgraded hardware to replace it but you don't want to be bothered making the effort yet somehow you're still blaming Dish? Seriously?. Do you still hand crank your car to start it on those cold Winter mornings are did you get one with one of those new fangled electric starters? I'll bet you upgraded that one.
Well, yeah, but not that rotary dial phone

• Haha
Reactions: charlesrshell
Technically the Joey's will run off of ethernet too. Again not approved and if you are going to do it should be the only thing on the network switch but I've seen people run it over the same network as their internet without issue.
Yeah, me. I have GigE switches throughout the house. My J3 worked just as though it were on coax.

Actually, if the 922 was linked to a dead account where the equipment was purchased they will activate those units as well.

It will take a little doing and you will get the "Upgrade to the Hopper" sales pitch and they will tell you its obsolete too. But if you are upgrading from an old 722, 222 or 211 they will do it.

The big thing here is that Dish wants to make sure its not rental equipment that someone just kept and rightfully so. If that's the case about all you can do with it is use it for parts...

Is this pop-up appearing when you hit the "home" button your remote? Or does it just appear while watching TV?
Josh i usually notice it when going thru the guide. I also have OTA for locals and it might be when i am going thru them in yellow. Been gone a few days since i run the check switch but will let you know if it happens again or take a screen picture of it

Josh i usually notice it when going thru the guide. I also have OTA for locals and it might be when i am going thru them in yellow. Been gone a few days since i run the check switch but will let you know if it happens again or take a screen picture of it

Please do - I am very curious to see what you're seeing.

Please do - I am very curious to see what you're seeing.
Josh you got the best of me so went to shed and you are correct the message with error code 343 comes up when i hit the "Dish" button on lower right of a 21 remote .The uhf doesnt work that well there and i have to usually have two hands on it and must be hitting that button. when i came back in house it also comes up on my 722 and 622. Thanks for following up on this.

Josh you got the best of me so went to shed and you are correct the message with error code 343 comes up when i hit the "Dish" button on lower right of a 21 remote .The uhf doesnt work that well there and i have to usually have two hands on it and must be hitting that button. when i came back in house it also comes up on my 722 and 622. Thanks for following up on this.

Not a problem - I'm not sure why its throwing that message (it should be telling you the button/feature has been deactivated) so either way we found an issue and I can work to get it fixed. Thanks again!

The plot thickens, after doing some digging apparently Dish Network LLC did not renew their lease on their 129 Satellite which expired on Aug 1st.
The end of last month they quickly shifted some content from the 129 to 119 and 110 but as I understand it not everything got moved and if you had a non HD receiver you lost channels plus some of the duplicated SD channels are gone too.

I guess it was a Hail Marry move perhaps a move to save some bucks for them. In hindsight proper planning did not prevail and the customers with older equipment got the shaft. Great job Dish! Your living up to the industry experts prediction about your future.
You don't get around here much do you? This has been discussed in great detail. Your post is full of fallacies. Do a little research in THIS forum and you will get the correct information.

You don't get around here much do you? This has been discussed in great detail. Your post is full of fallacies. Do a little research in THIS forum and you will get the correct information.
llokey and Hipcat say what you want, but I do take issue in your comments. Bottom line is a customer that is not notified to a change that will cause and outage to them is un excusable.

A customer should not have to do web searches and belong to forums to prevent their PAID services or learning about situations that will cause their services to go down. I know Dish has no problems deducting my account for my bill. How about and email? "Oh buy the way, you going to have and issues BECAUSE..." They know I have 922 as well as many others. Even the Dish tech I spoke with said the transistion from 129 to the other satellites was not handled well. I guess you both will say its my fault because I don't have a hopper.

If you wish to go out of your way to point out what I have posted is incorrect I submit, so be it, my service went down, I wasn't notified. What I posted is info on the web much from industry analyst.

End of story. I resolved the problem with my actions, not Dish... I don't live my life on this forum and don't plan to. I expect my service provider to keep me informed as long as I pay for their service and use equipment they originally provided.

Lets talk about technology. Just because technology changes it doesn't mean its better or worth the effort to implement. Nor does it mean if you have something that works that you should just go blow your money on something you really can't justify. Not me, its got to be cost effective and make my life better to some degree before I drop coin or re-invent the wheel for it. Anything else just makes no sense to me.

There is a big difference between an technology upgrade and innovation or functionality improvement. As many of you have gone out of you way to tell me the Hopper is superior and I acknowledge that. Other then some menu upgrades and the ability to record 13 shows it really does nothing else for me other then having to spend more money every month and totally tear apart my existing. No Thank you. If you feel that make me less of a person or a customer Dish no longer wants so be it. Good for you.

llokey and Hipcat say what you want, but I do take issue in your comments. Bottom line is a customer that is not notified to a change that will cause and outage to them is un excusable.

A customer should not have to do web searches and belong to forums to prevent their PAID services or learning about situations that will cause their services to go down. I know Dish has no problems deducting my account for my bill. How about and email? "Oh buy the way, you going to have and issues BECAUSE..." They know I have 922 as well as many others. Even the Dish tech I spoke with said the transistion from 129 to the other satellites was not handled well. I guess you both will say its my fault because I don't have a hopper.

If you wish to go out of your way to point out what I have posted is incorrect I submit, so be it, my service went down, I wasn't notified. What I posted is info on the web much from industry analyst.

End of story. I resolved the problem with my actions, not Dish... I don't live my life on this forum and don't plan to. I expect my service provider to keep me informed as long as I pay for their service and use equipment they originally provided.

Lets talk about technology. Just because technology changes it doesn't mean its better or worth the effort to implement. Nor does it mean if you have something that works that you should just go blow your money on something you really can't justify. Not me, its got to be cost effective and make my life better to some degree before I drop coin or re-invent the wheel for it. Anything else just makes no sense to me.

There is a big difference between an technology upgrade and innovation or functionality improvement. As many of you have gone out of you way to tell me the Hopper is superior and I acknowledge that. Other then some menu upgrades and the ability to record 13 shows it really does nothing else for me other then having to spend more money every month and totally tear apart my existing. No Thank you. If you feel that make me less of a person or a customer Dish no longer wants so be it. Good for you.
Understand that for most people, there was no interruption. But if Dish would have made a big deal about it, the phones would flood with people calling to find out - whatever question they could come up with.
Just like with the Cyberattack. Making it public would have caused a panic and many, many customers never knew it even happened.

Technology advances. If you don't advance with it you get left behind. Seems like you've been left behind. Hard to believe in this day and age someone would actually complain about losing duplicated SD channels and then act as if Dish did it just to shaft it's customers. You talk about a lack of proper planning and I agree, you did not properly plan for this eventuality. The 922 is no longer supported and past EOL. Dish offers upgraded hardware to replace it but you don't want to be bothered making the effort yet somehow you're still blaming Dish? Seriously?. Do you still hand crank your car to start it on those cold Winter mornings are did you get one with one of those new fangled electric starters? I'll bet you upgraded that one.
Actually I would complain too and I have a Hopper H3 but that comment is more on losing duplicated SD channels as I like the SD version of the channel because the audio is louder than the HD version if one was watching it directly. Reason #2 is remember the DVR can hold more SD versions of the same content than the HD version since there is also a advantage of recording in SD as the % capacity is misleading and if you don't reboot withnin 48 hours, it could say it is 80% full and it will say the hard drive is full and halt all recordings and keeps showing that message with multiple 0 minute recordings unil one restarts the receiver. I do agree with everything else said though because as long as DISH offered upgraded hardware at the same cost, then it's okay but if they offered to upgrade the hardware and it costed a lot as a result, then that's different. It's similar to Financial institutions drop support for devices using a older OS version in their apps, which is basically like making a customer really pay an arm and a leg just to continue being their customer when what they should have done just allow the customer with old devices to to use a older version of the app that will never have new updates.

Last edited:

They didn't notify anyone because there wasn't supposed to be any issues. Obviously there ended up being issues, and dish is working on it, but as stated making it public usually does more harm then good.

They didn't notify anyone because there wasn't supposed to be any issues. Obviously there ended up being issues, and dish is working on it, but as stated making it public usually does more harm then good.
At one point when 129 was first removed, mydish.com or dish.com had something about this in the same area that talks about Maui currently including how to fix it. I don't see it anymore when I just checked, probably they expected everyone who had the problem to have fixed it by now.