HD Upgrade question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

scottabs

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2004
I just bought a 3rd HDTV for the bedroom, and I'd like some advice on adding/upgrading a new receiver. Right now, I have 2-811's, at 510, and a 311. Ideally, I would upgrade either the 510 or one of the 811's to a 622. I'd also consider buying a 942 on eBay if that might my best bet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Scott

Last edited:
For HD only way to go is with one of the new vip receivers, I would suggest the 622

Thanks. What is the best "upgrade path" to get one. Can I upgrade the 510 to a 622, or will I have to use one of my 811's?

There's no incentive difference either way. As DishDave said, you'll need at least one of the ViP receivers to get the full HD capabilities. How many simultaneous viewing locations do you need, how many need to be HD, and how many recorders do you need? Make your decision accordingly.

The 622 will give you 3 total HD recorders (2 sat. and one OTA) and supply 2 independent outputs, one HD and one SD. (You could feed that one HD output to multiple locations but you would have to view the same program at both.)

One possibility: turn-in or sell all the equipment you have now and get one 622 and two 211s. That would give you 3 HD receivers and one SD receiver (in the 622) so you'd have the same number of independent viewing locations. You can feed the 622's RF output into your whole-house system to watch its recordings (in SD only) at all locations. I'm not sure E* would agree to this all at once on a lease, but if you buy the equipment I believe they would activate it all, YMMV...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)