HD versions of DISC, TLC, etc same as SD?

horseflesh

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 30, 2003
Got my 722, pretty happy so far, but I'm trying to figure something out.

The channels that have HD/SD versions next to each other in the guide include ANIML (184), TLC (183), DISC (182), etc. They seem to have the same programming. They also seem to be duplicated in the 9000's.

Am I missing anything if I have only one of the three versions in my guide? Like, keeping only 183-HD. Or only 110-HD, 112-HD... etc.

(I did learn that Discovery HD Theater is different than regular Discovery, at least.)

Thanks!

Pressing the guide button multiple times cycles through to a HD only listing.
You could make a favorite's list or LOCK the channels and hide

Lock
Menu > 5 > 2

HD Map-Down will show only the 4 digit and 9000's HD channels.
Menu > 6 > 9 > channel display > DishHD Channels > Disable > Done

Enable: to access the DishHD channels next to their SD channel in the guide
Disable: to access the DishHD channels in their four-digit channel range
Select Done to save and cancel

Last edited:
I get that--I'm trying to figure out of the HD/SD versions of A&E, DISC, etc. have different programming. Then I'll know what I want to hide.

It doesn't look like they are different, but the installer swore that they had different programming. (?) He's definitely mistaken about Nat'l Geo, their web site confirms SD/HD have the same programming.

I only have AT100 + HD. For me:

DIFFERENT HD/SD: Disc and DiscHDTheater, Food, HGTV

SAME HD/SD: everything else

Good Luck and Enjoy your 722 :)

Last edited:
Discovery Home Theatre 9421 is a HD channel from Discovery that is not a simulcast of any of the other Discovery channels, but has content from all of them. The remaining Discovery HD channels, A&E, TNT, National Geographic, ESPN and ESPN2, HBO, MAX, SHO, STARZ are all simulcasts of the SD channels.

FOOD HD and HG are not a simulcast and have a different schedule from their SD "counterpart".

Hope that helps

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it falls under "Discovery" HD channels, but TLC HD and Science HD are also simulcast.

Discovery

Before we got Discovery HD, Discovery HD Theater was mapped down to Discovery SD. Now Discovery HD is mapped down to it's simulcast counterpart. So now Discovery HD Theater can only be viewed at 9421. This has been the case since Aug 15.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)