HD Waiver Response

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tase2

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
I received my official response postcard. I already knew that only NBC was granted.

But I received a letter from my local CBS affiliate that went as follows:

Thank you for your interest in seeing more CBS in high definition. With our maximum power transmitter you now get a great signal in Wallingford. As a resident of Connecticut you do not qualify for a waiver. We are delighted that you can watch CBS in high definition on Channel 33-WFSB. We hope you enjoy CBS in high definition.

Sincerely

Program Administrator.

OK a couple of things

My OTA only picks up the signal maybe 5% of the time and never stays clear for more than 20 minutes. So I do not get a great signal in Wallingford.

They mention watching CBS HD on channel 33.
WFSB is channel 3. So as far as I knew the HD was on channel 3.1.
Channel 33 on D* is a "Channel not available"
I know I must be missing something here. Anyone know what this channel 33 is all about? Also, if my OTA does not pick up the signal, shouldn't I be entitled to a waiver?

Thanks
Mark

Channel 33 is the UHF station number even though it shows up on you TV as 3-1 it is really channel 33. I don't know why it's done this way, but that's the way it is. I think it confuses the heck out of most people. As to your reception issue; I think your antenna may be your problem. What kind of antenna are you using? Where is it mounted? Are you using a pre-amp or amp? I looked your town up on www.antennaweb.com they are saying you are about 16 miles from the signal source for that station. A good UHF antenna should solve your problem.

I am still waiting for my waiver. Does DirecTV really submitt them for you or do the just say they do? And does any one know if I will qualify? I live in Lansing, kansas which is about 20 miles or so from Kansas City. Thanks in advance.

I just signed up with Directv a couple of months ago and within about 3 weeks I got a post card showing who did or did not grant a waiver. So I would say yes, Directv does apply for you.

Mark, welcome to Connecticut's crappy digital transmitters! I am pursuing waivers on a one by one basis with the stations, speaking directly to the programming directors and when neccessary station managers. I think I'm actually making progress. I can give you some contact info for the people I've talked to if you want to PM me. I feel your pain, I live in Manchester which they see as an easy shot for them, but right up against a mountain that blocks them all :(.

Status
Please reply by conversation.