HD

OrangeCounty

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 20, 2010
Southern California
As i am typing this, im watching a show on NATGEO, and what has been happening in the past week or two, is that my HD channels at times seem to "cut off". What i mean is that its like when your watching a movie and the disc is scratched type of thing. The picture goes dark for a second, you can still hear audio but again the audio also sounds "scratched", then the picture comes on again. Its happening repeatedly now, what is it!

AgentOrangeSkies

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 19, 2010
At The Bottom Of Everything
If this is the only channel where this occurs hit menu 6-1-1 check signal on satellite 129 transponder 30, sit on it for a few minutes and see if its dropping in and out. If so it's just signal loss. Garbled audio, pixelation, picture dropping etc; are all symptoms of signal loss.

Johnny777

Apr 3, 2009
San Antonio Texas
this is also happening to me, just started doing it today within the last few hours and doing it randomly, like the screen goes black for a second or 2 and it is not a signal loss

AgentOrangeSkies

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 19, 2010
No. Besides, im positive its not signal loss, or cable problems...

You can't just decide to rule things out due to the ether.

If you've already swapped HDMI and still happened, if you're already confirmed it's not signal please post this information so we're up to date and can provide help. If you haven't done either of these things you don't know if either of them are true or false.

Like walking onto a florida beach being certain a seagull won't poop on you, until...

Could it be the receiver? Could it be a software upgrade causing gittery vid....

You know...while I was typing my snide reply, the same thing happened to me.

1-800-894-9131

Call them and ask them to submit a technical problem report for you as you're having intermittent video drops on 184/Nat Geo.

Tyralak

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 21, 2003
Secure, Undisclosed Location
As i am typing this, im watching a show on NATGEO, and what has been happening in the past week or two, is that my HD channels at times seem to "cut off". What i mean is that its like when your watching a movie and the disc is scratched type of thing. The picture goes dark for a second, you can still hear audio but again the audio also sounds "scratched", then the picture comes on again. Its happening repeatedly now, what is it!

Last edited by a moderator:

OrangeCounty

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 20, 2010
Southern California
You can't just decide to rule things out due to the ether.

If you've already swapped HDMI and still happened, if you're already confirmed it's not signal please post this information so we're up to date and can provide help. If you haven't done either of these things you don't know if either of them are true or false.

Like walking onto a florida beach being certain a seagull won't poop on you, until...

Could it be the receiver? Could it be a software upgrade causing gittery vid....

You know...while I was typing my snide reply, the same thing happened to me.

1-800-894-9131

Call them and ask them to submit a technical problem report for you as you're having intermittent video drops on 184/Nat Geo.

Well, you make it sound like im a noob, no HDMI switches, no signal loss as i have been looking at the signal for a while with no drop. the only thing i have not ruled out, thats why i didnt mention it, was the receiver. Oh by the way, thats why i didnt call to "jam their lines" because i thought people might have a solution...

AgentOrangeSkies

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 19, 2010
Well, you make it sound like im a noob, no HDMI switches, no signal loss as i have been looking at the signal for a while with no drop. the only thing i have not ruled out, thats why i didnt mention it, was the receiver. Oh by the way, thats why i didnt call to "jam their lines" because i thought people might have a solution...

No problem. I just reported it as well via their online chat option and had a technical problem report submitted. Since grabbing your thread I've been watching to see if I could confirm an issue and it hadn't happened to me until the last reply. Then it happened 4-5 times in a minute or two. Jagged sounding skip audio, black screen comes back. It's an uplink problem. I'm emailing a guy that I've got on the inside just to make sure we get enough reports uploaded to prompt engineering to resolve the issue.

vaylon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 7, 2009
virginia
We seem to be in a bit of a spike in solar activity lately. Even cell phones are starting to be affected.

That might have something to do with it.

OrangeCounty

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 20, 2010
Southern California
No problem. I just reported it as well via their online chat option and had a technical problem report submitted. Since grabbing your thread I've been watching to see if I could confirm an issue and it hadn't happened to me until the last reply. Then it happened 4-5 times in a minute or two. Jagged sounding skip audio, black screen comes back. It's an uplink problem. I'm emailing a guy that I've got on the inside just to make sure we get enough reports uploaded to prompt engineering to resolve the issue.

Awesome! See, i knew i wasn't the only one... Now, im also going to report it to dish.

AgentOrangeSkies

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 19, 2010
We seem to be in a bit of a spike in solar activity lately. Even cell phones are starting to be affected.

That might have something to do with it.

Typically only happens during the Equinoxes. Spring and Fall.

"Solar outages occur when a satellite dish is looking at a satellite, and the sun passes behind the satellite and within the field of view of the dish antenna. Solar outages occur during the spring and fall as the sun moves up and down the sky during the equinox. The outages only last a few minutes for a few days a year."

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2006
My theory is Dish. It seems they are compressing the signal to its best point. Trying to get the lowest res picture that still looks good.

In fairness, the channels themselves do have problems at their end, as well (I do remember about a year ago NatGeo--Wild was not in existence yet--had the same problem you have described that lasted days, and it was the only channel). We just don't know, but if it keeps up, call Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)