Hd

MB33

Original poster
Nov 28, 2006
What prevents a person from receiving an HD signal via Satellite if the TV has a built in tuner? Is the Satellite company doing something or is it just the type of dish used?

Generally speaking, both...curious as to how HD via Satellite works. Is it a certain dish as well as a tuner that picks up the signal? Maybe you could recommend a site that diagrams a basic setup. I'm fascinated with learning how it all works. Thanks.

The signal transmitted via satellite by DirecTV and Dish Network is not the same signal transmitted over the air waves, which is what your TV is designed to receive. Each use their own compression technology to take the over the air signal and squeeze the signal to a smaller data stream. The HD signal you receive from a satellite system IS NOT the same quality you receive from an over the air broadcast.

Infact, the quality of ALL satellite TV signals is never as good as the original signal produced before the satellite companies retransmit the signal. They maintain a balance of channel capacity vs signal quality. The more channels added to a data stream, the lower the picture quality. Channel capacity increases subsribers, but signal quality suffers.
The real trade off is when you look at a SD channel on a HDTV. This is a HUGE problem for consumers. Some TV types work better at displaying SD satellite TV on a HDTV display technology than others. Plasma and LCD seem to offer less picture quality then DLP or LCD projection, when using a NON HD satellite receiver. If using an HD satellite receiver, you should always use the HDMI connection. It is the only way to carry a pure 100% signal from the receiver to the TV. This improves the picture quality of ALL channels, HD or SD.

Thanks. I have a big & heavy Sony CRT which claims it can receive cable (which I will not get) directly without a box, so that must have the right conversion tech once the cable company descrambles, but doesn't mention Satellite.

What's the word on how well a CRT HD does when taking in SD Satellite compared to the other types of TVs (e.g. plasma, LCD, DLP, etc.)?

But what will your cable company charge you to lease the CARD? Your TV is only cable digital ready after the cable company leases you a card to insert in the rear of the TV. Even then you loose all two-way capabilities that are common when you use the digital set-top box.

Last edited:
CRT are the best choice IMO. The only drawback with a HDTV CRT is if you have the standard 4:5 aspect ratio tube. HD programming is only truly HD when viewed at 16:9 ratio, which creates a narrow image across the middle of the CRT. Even with a large tube the result is a picture far smaller then many desire.
I am shopping for a HDTV CRT for myself, unless I can find a smaller enough DLP TV. My maximum cabinet width is 42 inches.

CRT are the best choice IMO. The only drawback with a HDTV CRT is if you have the standard 4:5 aspect ratio tube. HD programming is only truly HD when viewed at 16:9 ratio, which creates a narrow image across the middle of the CRT. Even with a large tube the result is a picture far smaller then many desire.
I am shopping for a HDTV CRT for myself, unless I can find a smaller enough DLP TV. My maximum cabinet width is 42 inches.

hmmm?

CRT standard 4:5 tube? Did you mean 4:3?

HD can only be 16:9? BUT when 2.39:1 or 1.85:1 OAR (frequently used to film) are shown on HD displays, you will still get the letter boxing; even though its NOT 16:9 OAR and still very much HD.

Last edited:
Yes 4:3

A true HD display is 16:9.

Film converted to video is tough, because the specs for HDTV are intended for video production or film with the intent for conversion to television video. Film for HD display cannot be considerd HDTV unless it's native format is 16:9 (or converted) and when converted to video has at least twice the resolution as standard NTSC. It must also have 5.1 audio. These specs are NOT written as law, but they are the general accepted specifcations for HDTV.

Over time I think you will see all movies shot at 16:9 because consumers will zoom in, or stretch, to push the image to fill their 16:9 HDTV display. The problem is, when you zoom in or stretch the image, you reduce your resolution. Movie makers know this and I think they will adapt to the 16:9 ratio

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)