HDD Upgrade

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
I am just curious if anyone has tried to upgrade the internal disk on their 622? I have a 500GB disk sitting here since I just went to two 750's for my mirror. If you have what did you use? I was thinking of just running Acronis, but before I close the disk and expand the partition I am curious if it will even work.

What model is the 500? You can't just stick any drive in a DVR, most drives will cook off and fail in that environment. If you are leasing the 622, it might not be a good idea to try either.

It's a Seagate. You should be able to stick any drive in there, it is not like Dish invented the DVR or HDD. I used to do my DirecTiVo's all the time. However, there were special steps due to the file system. I have not even opened it to see if it will take a SATA disk. It might be IDE.

A data drive does not handle dvr stress like a video drive can. Heat, error correction, and multiple streams are not handled the same in data drives. Any off the shelf hard drive you can pick up at BB will most likely fail much earlier than a drive designed to work in video applications like dvrs.

It's not a Dish thing, its an application thing. I'm not talking about Dish requirements, I'm talking about the general application. Same reason why you don't use lowend desktop drives in a highend server. That stress will crush a cheap drive in no time.

A data drive does not handle dvr stress like a video drive can. Heat, error correction, and multiple streams are not handled the same in data drives. Any off the shelf hard drive you can pick up at BB will most likely fail much earlier than a drive designed to work in video applications like dvrs.

I had a spare 522 a couple years ago that I cracked open to see what was inside. It contained a Maxtor 120GB hard drive that I yanked out and put in my computer. There's nothing special about it that makes it a "video drive." It's the exact same EIDE hard drive that you would purchase for any computer with an EIDE interface.

That being said, I've never replaced a hard drive in a DVR but I remember reading about people who had experimented with it. If I recall correctly, a new drive will format itself to work in your DVR but it will only recognize a pre-determined capacity, regardless of the actual drive capacity. In other words, you cannot increase your storage capacity by installing a larger internal drive.

Quite not right - regarding 522 DVR (by Pepper): you can use bigger disk 250 GB from approved list and it will accepted without special reformatting and your 522 will be 625 from now. We discuss the path many times here :(. Why not use Search and avoid confuse ppl by mixed rumors?

Jim, nope. 622/722 have the list, but now it include three 500 GB models.

I had a spare 522 a couple years ago that I cracked open to see what was inside. It contained a Maxtor 120GB hard drive that I yanked out and put in my computer. There's nothing special about it that makes it a "video drive." It's the exact same EIDE hard drive that you would purchase for any computer with an EIDE interface.

That being said, I've never replaced a hard drive in a DVR but I remember reading about people who had experimented with it. If I recall correctly, a new drive will format itself to work in your DVR but it will only recognize a pre-determined capacity, regardless of the actual drive capacity. In other words, you cannot increase your storage capacity by installing a larger internal drive.

Seagate bought Maxtor for the "video" capabilities their drives supported so well. Maxtors were not just like any EIDE drive you find in your pc.

Good luck to anyone using a dirt cheap desktop drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)