why am I getting All American distants

Marty43

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
Ogdensburg NY, Winter Haven Fl.
I just discovered last night on my VIP 211, I am getting NBC, Atlanta and S.F. and Fox, Atlanta and S.F. I have never ordered these channels and am not being billed for them. Not sure how long I have been getting them, as I do not check distant network channels.
The strange thing is if I go to American direct web site and use my Ogdensburg address, I would qualify for NBC and Fox, and need waivers for ABC and CBS. Could this be some kind of free preview?

My thinking is someone else ordered Distants and some how American direct put in my reciever ID by mistake. I do not receive those channels on my other receiver a 411.

Anyone got an explantion??

All I can say is that it happened to meas well. Then one day they were gone. You might want to contact them which would lead toa shutoff.

I do remember reading sometime ago that they issued a Blanket Waiver for all viewers that were not receiving them and once 30 days went buy without a responce from the station they would just turn it on. Once they turn it on they will send you a statement telling you to pay if you want to keep them but do nothing if you do not want them and they will just go away In a matter of time.

I received a flyer via snail mail last week from American Direct, stating there was a free preview of distant networks through February. The letter was rather vague as I could not understand if the free preview was automatic or if you had to call them to activate it, and then if you chose to keep it after the free preview you would have to pay. I DO not have any of the free channels, so I dismissed the whole thing, but maybe some people actually got the free preview. Back in the day I did have all the distant network channels, I figured they sent the flyers to the folks who had them and lost them w/ the hope that you'd subscribe again.

Anyway....You're not the only one wondering about your channels, I seem to have free Dish Latino...??