HDMI Adapter or Component?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Lexi51

Original poster
May 10, 2005
Hurricane, WV
I just had Dish install the new 211 receiver for HDTV. It has an HDMI output, however my Sony HDTV has just the component and DVI outputs. The Dish installer hooked the tv to the receiver with the component cables. Would I get a better picture to connect the receiver to the tv using a DVI-HDMI cable, or just use the component hookup? My old receiver, the 811 was connected to the tv with a DVI cable, and I honestly can't tell any difference in that connection and thie component.
Any advice on this? Thanks in advance.

Just use the component. There is not PQ difference between them. Considering the cost of a conversion cable- 80- 100 dollars, Id save my money.

Lexi51 said:
I just had Dish install the new 211 receiver for HDTV. It has an HDMI output, however my Sony HDTV has just the component and DVI outputs. The Dish installer hooked the tv to the receiver with the component cables. Would I get a better picture to connect the receiver to the tv using a DVI-HDMI cable, or just use the component hookup? My old receiver, the 811 was connected to the tv with a DVI cable, and I honestly can't tell any difference in that connection and thie component.
Any advice on this? Thanks in advance.

If you can't tell a difference, there isn't one ;-)

Although theoretically, the digital connections (DVI & HDMI) will have better picture integrity (quality) since there will be fewer digital-to-analog (or analog-to-digital) conversions from source to destination.

Hope that doesn't confuse too much,

- Shane

If it is a CRT RPTV then it is not digital to begin with so the analog signal would be just as good as DVI.Although the DVI enhanced mode does seem to make some very minor changes,but probably not worth the price of a HDMI to DVI cable

That is true, bad assumption on my part.

Another matter to consider is whether the 211 is actually outputting HD resolutions over component output at all times. A lot of the newer hardware (most notably the new HD-DVD players) will downrez content over component to 540p if the content protection "flag" is enabled from the source. I have not heard whether Dish is doing this or not with their new MPEG-4 hardware. If they are, the only option for a true HD signal to her TV would be via the HDMI output, through an HDMI/DVI converter, to the DVI input on the TV ... assuming it supported HDCP that is.

That is the boat I'm in: I have a 7-year old Mits 55", which only has component inputs. So unless I want to either buy a new TV, or settle for a measly 60 more lines of horizontal resolution on my DVD's ... I'm locked out of the next generation of packaged media. :-(

- Shane

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)