HDMI in 622 Box ?

I'm getting my 622 on Tuesday. I know it has hdmi and component outs on TV1. I've got an unused component cable collecting dust. If I use that instead of buying another HDMI cable, will I notice that big of a difference in picture quality?
Larry

Whatever you do, don't buy a $90 Monster Cable HDMI cable. Even the $18 one I got at Fry's I consider overpriced. I paid under $6 for some 1-meter HDMI cables from monoPrice.com and they are as well constructed as cables costing $40 or more (How much do you think it costs to manufacture these things in China? Probably not even $2 I'm guessing). They work fine with my PS3 outputting 1080p and my 622 outputting 1080i (wish I had native pass-thru for 720p though).

Last edited:
I'm getting my 622 on Tuesday. I know it has hdmi and component outs on TV1. I've got an unused component cable collecting dust. If I use that instead of buying another HDMI cable, will I notice that big of a difference in picture quality?
Larry
There are arguments for and against. In my case, the component cables are just as good as digital for my Samsung 46inch DLP TV but I think I get a slightly better picture on my LG 37inch LCD TV with the HDMI cable.

I'd go with your component cables for now and maybe buy an HDMI cable from monoprice.com to try later.
I found another good source for cables is www.ehdmi.com/. Don't know the quality but digital cables do not have to be expensive.

Thanks Brian and BuddyBoy for the feedback. I did spend $30 for an hdmi cable at Walmart but will use the component I have until I order one from one of your recommendations. Forgot to mention we have the Sony 40" LCD with 3 hdmi inputs.

Doh! Forgot to mention that I'm using that hdmi cable for my upconvert dvd player (no component outs on that one).

I have both HDMI and component hooked up to my Panasonic CRT-RP. I ran only component for about a year, and had to readjust all of my settings for HDMI. After doing this I perceived the HDMI connection to be sharper, with better color saturation.

I then used only HDMI for 5 months. But on a whim, I switched back to component and reoptimized. Ran that for the last 6 weeks until tonight when I switched back and had to reconfigure again. Once again, I perceive HDMI to be sharper with better color. Probably won't go back to component unless my HDMI connector fails - as it does on about 60% of all 622s.

Just got the 622 installed today and used my existing component cable and they work great...not going to rush out for another hdmi cable.

I was surprised that I could hook my OTA antenna into it and record OTA events. I also bought the HD locals as well. The PQ is very good. However, I've lost my SD local channels. Wouldn't have been a big deal but I actually ended up loosing my local SD PBS station. Any idea why before I call a csr?

Thanks!
Larry

"I also bought the HD locals as well. However, I've lost my SD local channels."

If you have your HD locals you should have your SD locals too. Call them and find out why you're not getting them.

I did not get a HDMI with my new 622, however, I had already purchased 2 15ft cables from Monoprice.com for $7.00 each + shipping.

Super quality and perform excellent.

My new 622 did not come with an HDMI cable either.

I bought 2 25' HDMI, 2 25' Compomnent and 2 6' component cables from www.ehdmi.com. All were top-notch quality and CHEAP price. All those cables delivered for $70!

3' HDMI cables go for less than $10.

See ya
Tony

Another great site is www.mycablemart.com. I have purchased 2 HDMI cables from them and I am extremely pleased. My 622 box did not even come with component. E* is getting cheap!

How much 'user' HD space on a 622?

Dish and Sirius Channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)