HDMI newbi question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

n4uaj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
Hi all I am supposed to get an hd install today just the reciever no dvr yet. I know that the hdmi cable isnt included but saw the prices and wondering if the picture and audio quality would be worth 31 bucks from walmart? also if using hdmi will all the sat receiver audio be output so i could use the optical audio out on my tv or would only the dolby digital signals be output there. Kinda hoping to eliminate some tof the tangle of wires behind the tv if it works that way. Also fyi I called dtv saturday and told them i was looking at some other hdtv options and right away she knocked 5 bucks from my bill for 6 mos. plus 10bucks off hbo for 6 mos. Then she "checked" my account and said I qualified for same deal as new customers so i got the receiver upgrade free. Then i asked if Starz was available on HD and she said not at this time but gave me 6 mos. of Showtime free. I didnt press about the hd dvr yet dont know what kinda deal if any i coulda got on that but I figured after reading some of the dissatisfied posts maybe I should letem shake the bugs out first then maybe upgrade later if I can get a good deal on it.
Thanks
Bill

Hi all I am supposed to get an hd install today just the reciever no dvr yet. I know that the hdmi cable isnt included but saw the prices and wondering if the picture and audio quality would be worth 31 bucks from walmart? also if using hdmi will all the sat receiver audio be output so i could use the optical audio out on my tv or would only the dolby digital signals be output there. Kinda hoping to eliminate some tof the tangle of wires behind the tv if it works that way. Also fyi I called dtv saturday and told them i was looking at some other hdtv options and right away she knocked 5 bucks from my bill for 6 mos. plus 10bucks off hbo for 6 mos. Then she "checked" my account and said I qualified for same deal as new customers so i got the receiver upgrade free. Then i asked if Starz was available on HD and she said not at this time but gave me 6 mos. of Showtime free. I didnt press about the hd dvr yet dont know what kinda deal if any i coulda got on that but I figured after reading some of the dissatisfied posts maybe I should letem shake the bugs out first then maybe upgrade later if I can get a good deal on it.
Thanks
Bill

You might look at http://www.ehdmi.com/hdmi.html or http://www.monoprice.com for less expensive cables. I recall that my H20 came with component cables. which also provide good picture quality. I haven't tried the optical output from my TV, but use the optical port on the H20 to my A/V receiver with HDMI to the TV and it works fine with standard audio as well as Dolby 5.1.

Of course, if you are in a hurry (as I was,) overnight delivery pushes even cheap Internet-bought cables up into the Wal-Mart price range.

:( Well didnt get the install today...Installer had problems with previous customer and had to use lnb off the dish that was suposed to be mine..supposed to come back tomorrow and said he would bring me an hdmi cable for free and run another cable that wasnt on the original ticket so i guess i can wait another day.. Thanks for the replies on the cable. He did say I done good not getting the dvr right now cause they do got some bugs they need to shake out. Lesson learned today: Next time schedule install in the morning so I wont be affected by installation glitches like this in the afternoon.

Bill

:( Well didnt get the install today...Installer had problems with previous customer and had to use lnb off the dish that was suposed to be mine..supposed to come back tomorrow and said he would bring me an hdmi cable for free and run another cable that wasnt on the original ticket so i guess i can wait another day.. Thanks for the replies on the cable. He did say I done good not getting the dvr right now cause they do got some bugs they need to shake out. Lesson learned today: Next time schedule install in the morning so I wont be affected by installation glitches like this in the afternoon.

Bill
whats up man. well, it sounds to me like this tech was jus' plain lazy! I work 4 ironwood communications,as a contractor.Now let me say that my supervisor would have rushed that lnb out 2 me right away,reschedualing is always the last, last option.also, watch out 4 that free extra cable, the work order can be changed very easily.

Well still aint seen the cable but got the install the next day and wish I had been here to watch him..I have done my own installs in the past after buying a couple new receivers and a dvr so I knew what to expect but I gotta redo some of it. He was lazy as you said cuz he didnt even hang the multiswitch just left it layin under the house..now since you do these installs should I see a signal on the 99 lnb? He said it was for my locals and would download later after he left which there was a download and after it I got my locals but on the signal strentgh screen still had nothing on that lnb..now I am real satisfied with the HD picture..hockey on HDNet is great you can really follow the puck...just wish my rsn was hd so I could see my Hurricanes...and no chance of seeing my Bobcats in HD because thier stupid management gave most all the games to TimeWarner cable with no regard to us sat users opps OT rant there sorry.

Thanks

Bill

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)