hdmi problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ciodens

Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
i have a samsung s4253 with h20 600 and my hdmi does not work!!!!It works using component cable. I have a dvd up convert and it works fine and satisfied with the picture result. can anybody help me?

Samsung S4253 and DVR HDMI Problems

I have the same Plasma TV and I have an identical problem. The HDMI on my TV works fine using my DVD up converter (except that I sometimes have to shutoff and restart the TV to straighten the picture out) but I'm having big trouble using the HDMI on my new DirecTV HD DVR. All I get is a blank screen on my S4253 with a "Searching for Signal" banner dancing around the screen.

Alas, the component video works but I paid good money for a DVR that should work right. From what I've seen searching the internet tonight there are many problems out there with HDMI devices and many of those involve DVRs. I've read of a number of people who have had to replace their units to get one that works and I've read of people who have had so much trouble that they have given up and only use the component cables. I had no idea that HDMI was such a problem.

So! Is it your TV or your DVR? If the HDMI works on your DVD player I would guess that the problem is in the DVR. I'm sure that is the case with my problem
since the very same HDMI cable that will not work with my DVR works fine on my DVD player. In fact, the DirecTV installers told my wife that they have to replace a lot of these new units. She didn't ask why but, as I said, I've seen a lot of HDMI problems discussed on the internet tonight.

I'm not giving up. The HDMI gives you the very best picture (I've compared it) in spite of what you will read from the ones who gave up. I'm calling Directv on Monday. Good luck with your problem.

Last edited:
Follow-up on HDMI Problem

I just got off of the phone talking to DirecTV technical support about the HDMI problem I'm having connecting my DirecTV HR20-700 DVR to my Samsung TV. They told me that there is an HDMI compatibilty problem between the HR20s and Samsung TVs. They say that there will be a software update to correct this soon.

Unfortunately I found on the DirecTV technical support forum that this problem has existed on earlier HR20s as far back as 1 year ago and on a thread started 6 months ago customers were given the same promises of a software fix within a few weeks. There was no "Problem Solved" ending to the thread started six months ago. In fact they apparently came out with the newer HR20-700 with the same compatibity problem built into it even though they knew it existed.

I must say, that forum makes me doubtful of the promise that I just received of a soon to arrive software fix.

I just got off of the phone talking to DirecTV technical support about the HDMI problem I'm having connecting my DirecTV HR20-700 DVR to my Samsung TV. They told me that there is an HDMI compatibilty problem between the HR20s and Samsung TVs. They say that there will be a software update to correct this soon.

Unfortunately I found on the DirecTV technical support forum that this problem has existed on earlier HR20s as far back as 1 year ago and on a thread started 6 months ago customers were given the same promises of a software fix within a few weeks. There was no "Problem Solved" ending to the thread started six months ago. In fact they apparently came out with the newer HR20-700 with the same compatibity problem built into it even though they knew it existed.

I must say, that forum makes me doubtful of the promise that I just received of a soon to arrive software fix.

I have the same HDMI problem with my H20 receiver and Samsung LCD. They stated that they could send me a different receiver, but it "has it's own problems that are worse - like overheating!" I think it was an H60 or 600 ~ something like that (I was too busy trying to connect componant cables and unplugging my HDMI when they told me).

I doubt there is much difference with the HDMI and componant, but spending $60 on the HDMI and not using it is BS. I will anxiously await the software upgrade!

I have a similar Samsung TV, The HPS5053, and I also had the HDMI problem for many months with the HR-20 receiver. My problem was I could watch HD channels using the HDMI connection, but when I switched to a non HD channel, the only way I could see the picture was to switch it to Component. That was annoying for my wife.

After calling D* many times, we finally figured out just to leave the Resolution set to 1080i, and leave the Native setting set to off. This works, so even though ESPN HD broadcasts in 720p, my HR-20 box is set to 1080i and the picture looks great. Try that.

Ok.... this is strange. I just picked up a a couple HDMI cables. One to my Samsung LNR-3228W that is connected to a HR20-700 DVR. Get no picture on anything less than 720p as stated previously by others. The other cable is connecting my Samsung LNS-2341W. As soon as I switched to the HDMI input, the old HD receiver H20-100(?) switched the output light to 1080i on a standard channel. Checked my settings and Native is turned on and all resolutions are checked. Why is it doing this? Will it show all non-HD channels as 1080i now?

5 minutes later:
Ok .. more wierdness. I can watch my LOCALS on D* that are non-HD, but the light shows as 1080i. Tho, now that I keep trying, it is only SOMETIMES showing the locals. All broadcast stations(TBS, TNT, Spike, etc.) will not show. I get "not supported mode" on the TV, and the light drops to 480i. CBS local works, NBC don't, FOX don't, ABC sometimes. Very strange.

Though the HD channels look much better now. I am sitting about 3 feet from the TV, and at this range, even HD don't look real good on component. But this does make it look much more like HD should.

3 minutes later:
I tried the option of enabling only certain resolutions and guess what? I can enable everything EXCEPT for 480i, and I get a picture on all non-HD stations, including locals. Though all HD channels are stuck at the lowest enabled resolution. Re-enabling Native , enables me to see the HD channels in whatever resolution it should be in, plus be able to see all non-HD stations at 480p. So apparently, D* HDMI + Samsung Tv's + 480i = Not Work! Argh.

Last edited:

The HR20's weren't available a year ago.

component are the most reliable hd cables in the market . hdmi doesnt make any difference when it comes to picture qualities.

I hope you are wrong about the HDMI quality not being any better than component because I can switch back and forth from over the air local HD broadcast and DirecTV broadcast of the same channel and there is a definite difference in quality with the over the air local broadcast being much better than the HD satellite image of the same show. I was hoping that the HDMI would bring the Satellite image up equal with the antenna. On my DVD player the quality was visibly different between component and HDMI.

As Ronald Reagan would say, excuse me for the misspeak. That was an H20 receiver problem with the same HDMI compatibility problem in Feb 2006 and HR20 problems in August of last year. The point is that DirecTV has had these compatibility problems as long as a year ago which means they know that there are compatibilty problems and yet they continue to produce units with these problems. However I have been doing some research and I have found that there are HDMI compatibility problems on cable boxes and satellite receivers from dish network too. apparently there is a big problem out there.

I'm not saying that it is all DirecTV's fault but the fact that this has been going on for a year and persist with new receivers does not give me much hope of a timely solution for my problem.

New Update On My DirecTV HDMI Problem

DirecTV has sent me an e-mail stating that they believe that some new HD TV's are using chips that are not compliant with HDMI protocal. They are working on a list of TVs that are not HDMI compatible and will let customers know what TVs are on this list. In the meantime, they are working on a "permanent fix" for my problem. I feel so much better........well not really.

As I have said, there are apparently many HDMI compatibility problems out there even with other Satellite TV providers so maybe DirecTV is on to something there.

Still, I don't think I'll be standing behind my TV with my HDMI cable in my hand ready to fire up that most awesome high definition satellite TV experience any time soon. Component Video HD will just have to do for now. In the DirecTV Plus HD DVR manual, component video is described as "better" and HDMI is described as "Best".

I think it's time to call Samsung and see what they say.

I have seen noticeable increase in brightness using HDMI vs Component on Sony LCD-projection and Samsung DLP. Not so much on LCD or Plasma.

The conclusion is, I would rather suffer a slight decrease in brightness (which I might be able to adjust anyway) vs having a customer loose picture completely.

There are different HDMI problems and you need to make sure what is your real issue.
First, there are some TVs, particularly Samsung, which do not support 480i resolution over HDMI. This is why HD works over HDMI and SD does not. Buried in the user manual is a list of supported resolutions. If your TV is one of those that does not support 480i over HDMI you have to go into user setup on your H20 or HR20 and set native "off", and also uncheck 480i as a supported resolution.

This solves many HDMI problems. Most of the others are (as has been posted) due to an incompatibility between a particular chip used by Samsung and others and the HDMI implementation in some of the DirecTV receivers. It's not clear that either of them is actually "wrong", the HDMI spec just seems to be badly written when it comes to compatibility. DirecTV is making changes to the firmware to improve compatibility; the HR20 has already had firmware updates, and they are supposed to be in development for the H20 also.

And yes there are HDMI problems all over the industry, not just Samsung and DirecTV. Dish receivers, cable boxes, upconverting DVD players, HDMI switching receivers and switches.....

Meanwhile you just have to use component video instead of HDMI. In most installations there is no difference between the picture quality using component video and that using HDMI. Indeed, in some situations people report component video is better.

There are different HDMI problems and you need to make sure what is your real issue.
First, there are some TVs, particularly Samsung, which do not support 480i resolution over HDMI. This is why HD works over HDMI and SD does not. Buried in the user manual is a list of supported resolutions. If your TV is one of those that does not support 480i over HDMI you have to go into user setup on your H20 or HR20 and set native "off", and also uncheck 480i as a supported resolution.

This worked for me. I had to set up the DVR with the s-video but after I turned off the 480i it worked great thru the HDMI.
It will also do native but I notice that all 480 programs are put out at 480p.
Oh, I have a Samsung DLP, 42 720p. Not sure the model #.

Another Followup on HDMI Problem on Samsung TV And Direct TV Receiver

Well, another day in the saga of the inoperative HDMI. Thanks to everyone for the advice. I checked the settings and "native" is off, I have selected every resolution available and still nothing helps.

DirecTV tells me that they believe that some new HD TVs are using chips that do not comply with the HDMI protocal. One technician named Samsung over the phone. DirecTV is working on a fix but also indicated that they may just list all the TVs that are not compatible. There was a "this or that" in the answer that I got.

Maybe DirecTV is right and the problem is in the TV. Since I bought the Plasma TV at Best Buy a year ago with an extended warranty and i bought the Direct TV DVR two weeks ago also at Best Buy, I've decided to call in the big guns and see if Best Buy can fix the problem. I called today and they are sending a technician on Friday. I must say, I'm impressed with the speed of their response. They did not haggle, shift blame or give promises of some future fix. Instead, they just said they would be here in two days. Hopefully they will find the problem and if they do I will share it with everyone here. I have seen many people searching on the internet for a solution to this same problem.

Next time you hear from me I hope to be claiming "Victory"

component are the most reliable hd cables in the market . hdmi doesnt make any difference when it comes to picture qualities.

I have 3 HDTVs and all my manuals say to use the HDMI when ever possible, for best picture quality. Also in many different places throughout the H20 user's guide, it says for Best picture quality use the HDMI output.

It sure makes a difference in the HD picture quality, on my Mitsubishi 1080p set, but not so noticeable on the 1080i and 720p ones.

Still trying to get HDMI to Work

Since my HR20-700 is only two weeks old from Best Buy, and since my Samsung TV is less than one year old from Best Buy and with a four year warrany, and since I couldn't find a contact for Samsung, I called Best Buy and told them my problem.

I was very impressed with Best Buy's service. They sent a Technician out in two days and he checked everything out and he dertimined that the TV works fine but that the HR20-700 box is bad. It seemed obvious to me too but DirecTV implied otherwise. The technician wrote me a slip and said return the box to Best Buy.

He also said that a lot of these boxes get returned. I'm taking it back monday.

Since my HR20-700 is only two weeks old from Best Buy, and since my Samsung TV is less than one year old from Best Buy and with a four year warrany, and since I couldn't find a contact for Samsung, I called Best Buy and told them my problem.

I was very impressed with Best Buy's service. They sent a Technician out in two days and he checked everything out and he dertimined that the TV works fine but that the HR20-700 box is bad. It seemed obvious to me too but DirecTV implied otherwise. The technician wrote me a slip and said return the box to Best Buy.

He also said that a lot of these boxes get returned. I'm taking it back monday.

Getting a new HR20 will almost certainly not solve the problem. As has been posted here, there is an incompatibility between many HDMI/HDCP devices. If you search the forums you will find problems with Dish, Comcast, switching receivers, high-end video processing systems and some upconverting DVD players. It is not that the HDMI implementations are incorrect, they are just different. The HDMI spec is supposed to give compatibility between different versions of HDMI but it does not.

Since the HR20 is software-based it is easier for DirecTV to make the HR20 compatible with TVs with certain HDMI chips than it would be for the TV manufacturer to change the HDMI chip in every TV. The latest releases of software for the HR20 have solved some of the HDMI compatibility issues but not all.

The only thing you can do is use component connections until the HDMI problems are sorted out. In most situations the picture quality on component video is just as good as with HDMI. Where there are differences it is usually that the two types of connection are not properly calibrated. Some people find that they get better quality on component than they do over HDMI.

Problem Solved! Hdmi Now Works On Hr20!

No thanks to DirecTV, my problem is now solved. DirecTV technical support told me by phone that a software fix was in the works to correct a compatibility problem between a chip in my Samsung TV and the HR20-700 and I was told to use component cables until the fix arrives. Then in answer to an e-mail request for a time when the fix will be available, DirecTV tells me that some new TV's have chips that do not comply with the HDMI protocol, that they are making a list of these TV's that are not compatible and that they would then be able to tell me if the problem is my TV "or" I will be able to use my HDMI.

Not real happy with the "or" part of that answer, I decided to call Best Buy where I purchased my TV and my HR20-700. They immediately sent a technician who confirmed that my TV works fine and that the HR20 box is bad. I replaced the HR20 at Best Buy and now my HDMI is working fine. So much for the chip incompatibility problem huh?

Moral of the story? In my opinion you should buy the HR20 at Best Buy instead of through DirecTV and then you can return it immediately if anything isn't working right. Even though DirecTV supposedly takes care of this unit (that we don't actually own) this is the easiest and quickest way to solve problems. Best Buy service was excellent.

PS: My HR20-700 now works great and I am very pleased. The picture quality is incredible as the image through the HDMI is by far better than through the component cables. I can't imagine why some people say that component is as good as HDMI. Since all TV's are not equal, maybe their TV's are unable to attain a level beyond what component can supply. As far as I'm concerned, don't settle for anything less than HDMI.

Good that your system is now working but it's still possible your old HR20 was not the problem. The new software downloaded this week has many HDMI fixes in it and many people who had HDMI problems are now reporting their problem is now fixed. Your new HR20 will have had the new software downloaded to it when it was activated so its possible that your "old" HR20 would now be working!!
Whatever, it is good that your problem is now fixed.

Surprised your picture is significantly better with HDMI than with component. If the inputs are properly calibrated there should not be any discernable difference, however good your TV is. Still, as long as you now have the best picture you can get that's the main thing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts