HDMI question

mdntblu

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Corona, CA
I was noticing that most people are using HDMI on their 622 receiver and wanted to know how people are getting the audio into their surround sound receiver. From what I can tell HDMI send Video and Audio to the TV. Then if you're doing this the audio would be going to the TV and not the audio receiver. What is the purpose of HDMI if you don't get surround sound on your TV. I have an optic cable for my audio currently.

Any help understanding this would be helpful.

Oh so fiber from the 622 to my surround sound receiver? Then what is the purpose of having HDMI? Isn't component just as good?

Oh so fiber from the 622 to my surround sound receiver? Then what is the purpose of having HDMI? Isn't component just as good?

If you have a digital display (plasma, LCD, LCOS, DLP) then you are probably better off using HDMI since you keep the digital signal throughout. Since component is analog the 622 would convert digital to analog and then your tv converts analog back to digital. This is a waste of conversions and has a potential for PQ loss. If you have a CRT display it is just a matter of which is better at the D/A conversion, the 622 or your TV.

But most people cannot see a difference between component and HDMI regardless of display device.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)