hdmi sparkles

goresnet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
I have a Sammy plasma, PS3, Dish 722 and a Pioneer VSK-918. PS3 and 722 connected via HDMI to Pioneer, then single out to Sammy. Almost always, I have sparkles in my darker colors (not always black). On few occasions, I have the sparkles on Blu ray content from the PS3, albeit rarely. I have swapped cables around, to no avail. They don't feel loose in the sockets. They are all 1.3 from monoprice. This being the second largest AV forum, I figured I give a try here. Any help? Thanks!

Is it possible that your Sammy plasma itself is causing that?
First of all, if you have an OTA antenna, try the built-in tuner and see if you have a similar problem.
Second, try component cables and see if the problem is still present.
How long is your HDMI cable? Try a shorter cable and run it on another side of the TV set, away from other cables (in case there is some interference from other cables, power supplies, etc.)
Also, try a different power outlet for your equipment, ideally some sort of power conditioner: noise in the power line may cause video noise.

If you rule out cables and other external sources of interference, then the problem must be inside the TV set itself. Perhaps its HDMI connectors or circuitry.

I just upgraded the AVR from a Kenwood to the Pioneer. I had the HDMI hooked directly to the TV. Didn't have any problems then (except the lack of lossless audio!). I have swapped around input on the TV however. Using 6' cables. Don't have an OTA antenna. Don't have component cables either (not sure how the picture holds up vs HDMI, deep blacks and all that HDMI jazz). Power conditioner may be something. Just swapped the Kenwood and the Pioneer on the same power strip. I know the Pioneer is more powerful, much more modern, so perhaps it puts out some type of interference.

I just upgraded the AVR from a Kenwood to the Pioneer. I had the HDMI hooked directly to the TV. Didn't have any problems then (except the lack of lossless audio!). I have swapped around input on the TV however. Using 6' cables. Don't have an OTA antenna. Don't have component cables either (not sure how the picture holds up vs HDMI, deep blacks and all that HDMI jazz). Power conditioner may be something. Just swapped the Kenwood and the Pioneer on the same power strip. I know the Pioneer is more powerful, much more modern, so perhaps it puts out some type of interference.

Sparklies usually indicate a bandwidth problem over HDMI.

It is unlikely that the Pioneer would put out this sort of interference, unless it is defective.

When you added the receiver and started using it for switching, you added one HDMI cable by necessity. Try swapping this one out and see if it changes anything. I'd suspect the one from the receiver to the TV since you say it happens on both inputs. Even the best of companies occassionally sell a turkey.

Try swapping the HDMI to a different input. Might be a connector problem.

My own personal opinion, but I think blaming problems on power conditioning is most often a red herring. Modern power supplies are clean and do a good job of filtering out the garbage. I consider this the least likely of the solutions suggested.

Try using a different HDMI input on the TV.

Basically, I echo Ilyas comment that this is most likely a connector problem. It could be the receiver as well, as that is a new variable, but it is better to try the cables first. Less hassle.

If you only have the problem with HDMI and only when running through the A/V receiver than you can rule out bad cable and consider the A/v receiver as the culprit.
I have not heard f this with Pioneer but I know the Onkyo 706 and 806s have been having problems.

OK.... I just hooked my PC to my TV with DVI to HDMI cable, since I just have 2 HDMI inputs on the Pioneer. Sparkles there too! So it seems as though it's a TV problem, even though it's only happened since I added the AVR. BTW, I've swapped cables between the 722 and PS3, and between both of those and the TV. Moot now, but it didn't help. I'll try bypassing the AVR (even though the PC goes straight to the TV) and see if there's any improvement. Thanks, so far, everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)