HDMI - Surround Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

pott2233

Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
Basic Question - not equipment specific:
i am trying to understand this HDMI cable and what idt can do for me. I undersatnd it is the same as DVI with the exception it carries audio as well.
Todays world - I am using DVI from satellite box to tv and optical cable for audio from satellite box to audio receiver for my surround sound (I have my TV speakers off since I am using my surround sound system.

My question is how do I / should I - use this HDMI cable - If yes how do I incorporate this into my surround sound setup - what am I gaining - extra speakers - I am just confused on how this ties together with my surround sound system.

A HDMI cable will not help your setup or change the quality of picture or sound. The one wire solution is great for TV sets with HDMI input and if you don't want to use surround sound. If the tv has a optical output you could use HDMI between the reciever and TV and then output the sound from the tv into the surrond system.

Additional info please

I understand I get no picture or sound benefits from HDMI -
Would I ever use HDMI cable with a surround sound system?
Why would I route my audio from my HD reciever to the tv and back to my surround sound audio receiver - wouldn't I just route my optical cable from the HD receiver to my surround sound audio receiver - I am trying to figure this out or even if there is anything o figure out.
Sounds like HDMI is just great for digital sound to utilizing the TV's digital capabilies withut introducing a surround sound system - is that correct?

thx for the reply

Like shap said, the HDMI cable is good if you do not want to use Surround Sound in a separate AV receiver.

If you want to use your AV Receiver for Surround sound (like everyone with a clue) then you'd use the toslink or dig-coax directly to the AV Rec.

The HDMI is only good for people who are going use the HDTV's speakers. Perhaps in the future, AV receivers will have HDMI switching and you'll connect the HDMI cable to the AV Recevier, and then the AV Recevie will have a HDMI or DVI cable outputing to the TV.

That would be simpler than today's DVI/Component & opt/coax switching that AV receivers perform today.

Thx

That is what I was thinking - I wanted to make sure I was not over thinking this or missing something.

As you stated anyone with a clue - what person spends 2- 3K on a HDTV and does not have surround sound - thats like not having an HD receiver for the TV.......

As you stated anyone with a clue - what person spends 2- 3K on a HDTV and does not have surround sound - thats like not having an HD receiver for the TV.......

That's why I've said that HDMI is the answer to the question no one asked. Yes, in the future when HDTVs cost $500 or less and middle class American is buying them for every room in the house, having a single HDMI cable from your DBS or cable STB will be very handy. Today, it is a waste to be putting it on $3K to $5K HDTVs, 95% of which will go into some sort of home entertainment center with the home's best audio equipment. Not to mention that the HDMI connector isn't as robust or screw connected like the DVI connector, more like the slippery old s-video plugs. Then there is the DVI to HDMI adaptor problems (loss of HD PQ w/ many cables and connectors).

That's my rant, sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)