Please reply by conversation.

kodaz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 22, 2010
North East PA
hi folks,
i stumbled across this and was wondering if it could be used to go into my birds switches to be used by all the sat receivers in my house at the same time.
hdmi source could be something like a firetv.

http://www.tvconverters.co.uk/_vti_bin/shtml.exe/form-get-a-quote_hdmi_DVBS.html

if there is a better way to convert hdmi to something a tv in the good ole USA would use , i am all ears.
i have looked at this one here
http://english.dsdvb.com/news.php?module=&act=show&classid=71&id=428

for direct cable connection to my current tv in every room setup, but when i try to talk to the chinese, they translate to a very difficult to understand replies and i cant validate it goes to atsc. The other options they have require a lot of money.
i have looked at thier hdmi to dvb-t but i cant figure out how to make DVB-t work here.
I am new at this end of it.
thanks

Hmmm... Intersting. Wonder what the output level they have in the various modes... Could be used as an exiter for a broadcast system in the L-band somewhere, maybe some amateur radio frequencies? Might be worth looking into.

This device is a DVB encoder. / modulator. Yes, it creates a SCPC service that could be distributed via your multi-switch and tuned with your receivers. Probably standard definition, but might support a wide bandwidth. DVB encoder/modulators are readily available on Ebay and used units often are very inexpensive as many are retiring DVBS to install DVBS2.

A much less expensive option would to use a QAM modulator (single or multiple channel), insert the signal into the multi-switch terrestrial port and break-out at each TV location with a diplexer.

Interesting. I do have a need to add multiple IP security camera streams as TV channels.
How would one mix the output from one of the IP streaming->ATSC boxes above with an antenna?
Or is the a completely different and better way to do it?
(Sorry for the Hijack)

Fred, depending on how many TVs, probably cheaper and higher quality image to put a Pi or a media box STB at each TV.

Never tried, but I see that Kodi has several IP security camera viewing add-ons.

Last edited:
Reactions: fred555
Over the years I have built several headends where the HD channels were modulated with ZeeVee HD QAM encoders. They work great and any TV with a digital tuner can tune them easily. They also mix nicely with standard definition analog modulators.

TV tuners support both ATSC (over the air) and QAM (cable TV) formats. Both are modulated signals that appear as a channel on a standard TV. Not sure why you would choose an ATSC modulator over a QAM? Distributing ATSC is much more problematic than QAM.

Because i did not know any better. i am looking for a cheaper way to distribute something like a roku thru the house and i am open to product alternatives.
are you saying to look for a HDMI to QAM converter?
thanks

Over the years I have built several headends where the HD channels were modulated with ZeeVee HD QAM encoders. They work great and any TV with a digital tuner can tune them easily. They also mix nicely with standard definition analog modulators.
ZeeVee show over a thousand bucks for thier stuff, a bit out of my range. I anybody knows of a product that will work, give a holler.
thanks

Because i did not know any better. i am looking for a cheaper way to distribute something like a roku thru the house and i am open to product alternatives.
are you saying to look for a HDMI to QAM converter?
thanks

You would be searching for a modulator.

It will likely be much less expensive to buy a Roku or media box STB for each TV than to modulate audio and video via HDMI connection to be either ATSC or QAM. Then you have to also consider if the content is DRM protected. :(

TV tuners support both ATSC (over the air) and QAM (cable TV) formats. Both are modulated signals that appear as a channel on a standard TV. Not sure why you would choose an ATSC modulator over a QAM? Distributing ATSC is much more problematic than QAM.

Not all TV tuners support both, for example if one is still using a converter box from the 2008-2009 era, those were ATSC-only. Further, if you're using OTA, most sets I've seen will not allow you to use both ATSC and QAM at the same time, you have to switch modes and rescan.

Using ATSC gets rid of all of that uncertainty. And if you're trying to run the OETA or LPB satellite feeds to otherwise OTA-only TVs in the home, those are already ATSC-compatible complete with PSIP, so you definitely want those feeds in ATSC format. (I've fed LPB to ATSC TVs via an ATSC modulator PCI card.)

- Trip

i have looked at thier hdmi to dvb-t but i cant figure out how to make DVB-t work here.

I doubt you'll find any DVB-T -capable TVs for sale here. However, USB-connected DVB-T tuners for your computer are dirt-cheap on the net.

I think that there aren't many companies other than ZeeVee making this stuff because in the US digital headends are supposed to be encrypted where it is carrying copyrighted material(I believe that Intel lobbied for this to be law and it became law..I think) so these things (ZeeVee) are for digital signage - primarily. But they work awesome and we don't have to encrypt in Canada, so I have built them into digital headends. They are super dependable.

Having said that, a good DVB-S or S2 encoder/modulator that was affordable would be super cool and could justify using an outboard tuner ... but in satellite that's all of us anyway.

Reactions: kodaz
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts