Help With Satellite Dish Repair

Status
Please reply by conversation.

navagator

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
Hello,

I have a chance to get a 6 foot possible 7 foot, mesh c band satellite dish but it's in need of some repair. It was my neighbors who recently passed away, he used it for a number of years and then retired it for a pizza dish.

The dish has been sitting on the ground for the past few years and some of the mesh panels are in need of repair or replacement and the feed horn support arms and feedhorn mounting plate are missing.

After looking at it I decided not to take it, but later I remembered that I still have the feedhorn support arms as well as the feedhorn mounting plate that came with our original BeachCraft fiberglass dish. My question is, if I can find a way to mount my old feedhorn support arms/plate to the mesh dish will the dish work correctly?

Doesn't each dish have a certain distance that the feedhorn has to mounted away from the center of the dish?

I currently have a Conifer 12 foot mesh dish that works fairly well for C band but not so great for Ku. I thought it might be nice to add the other dish for Ku reception. The mesh hole size in my neighbors dish is smaller than my 12 footers mesh.

Thanks

With help from this forum, many have 'revived' dishes in this condition or worse. Yes, the feedhorn has to be at the focal point, but that can be calculated, and you can fashion new support arms, if the ones you have don't match the focal point. I would go ahead and get the dish and plan to repair in the future. Good Luck!!!

If you already have a 12ft BUD that works well on C band, I'd just add a small offset dish for Ku. Like a 90cm. I have a feelin that a 6 or 7 ft Bud would not out perform it on Ku.
Might cost a little more but it would be 'up and running' in a lot less time. Also - Setting up a BUD on Ku is a 'fine' process. Not very forgiving. It's got to be 'spot on'.
I had the same problem, poor Ku performance on the BUD, and motored a little Ku dish with the BUD. THREAD
Maybe refurb the dish for a fixed dish on a C band satellite??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)