HDMI to DVI

kluever

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
I just got a 50" Samsung DLP (3rd gen - HLP5063W) and using Dish 811 HDTV receiver. Spent last night crawling around in my attic getting splinters. Got all the wiring done about midnight. I was told the cable to use for HDTV hook up was an HDMI to DVI. I connected it (HDMI to TV, and DVI to box) along with some RCA's for audio, picture looks excellent. The problem is - no sound. I am thinking the TV thinks it is getting sound from the HDMI, but the DVI isn't pushing any sound - and I can't get the TV to recognize the RCA's I've got connected. I think some type of setting needs to be changed in the TV. Is anybody familiar enough with the Samsung DLP's to help me out? I would really appreciate it.

You are correct that the HDMI on the TV can input sound; you are also correct that the DVI, connected to the receiver, does not supply any sound for the HDMI input to take in (DVI never connects sound).

You will need a separate audio connection, and it sounds like you have one (stereo RCA jacks, I assume). If you are still not getting any sound from the TV, then the receiver is probably not putting the sound out on the stereo output.

As I understand it, many receivers output only one sound type at a time, either digital or (stereo) analog, but not both simultaneously. To correct the problem would most likely require changing settings in the receiver; look for an audio menu for your Dish receiver to change your output from digital to analog.

Note that this will probably turn digital output off altogether, so you would need to change it back if you wanted the digital audio signal turned back on, for example to pump it to a separate audio receiver.

I have second-gen Samsung DLP myself, which has no digital audio inputs; you may want to see if your 3rd gen has a digital sound input option, and connect to the TV with that instead of with the stereo analog cables. There might also be such a thing as an HDMI to DVI connector cable that includes the (optical? coaxial?) digital sound connector on the DVI side as a separate cable.

Hope this helps,
--Dino

I think it is a great TV. No problems so far. PQ is great. Don't have it hooked up to my stereo system yet, but sound is really good too. Good value. I was torn between this TV and the Panasonic plasma of the similar size. For half the price and hardly any difference in picture quality, I think it was a good choice.

I've got this monster antennae in my attic that was left by the previous owners. Ran it into my 811, and I'm getting >90% reception from towers that are 25 miles away. Discovery HD and HDNet are great in 1080. Cuban gives us the Mavs home games on HDNet and the picture is rocking.

Like everybody else, though, I want more HD channels.

kluever said:
I just got a 50" Samsung DLP (3rd gen - HLP5063W) and using Dish 811 HDTV receiver. Spent last night crawling around in my attic getting splinters. Got all the wiring done about midnight. I was told the cable to use for HDTV hook up was an HDMI to DVI. I connected it (HDMI to TV, and DVI to box) along with some RCA's for audio, picture looks excellent. The problem is - no sound. I am thinking the TV thinks it is getting sound from the HDMI, but the DVI isn't pushing any sound - and I can't get the TV to recognize the RCA's I've got connected. I think some type of setting needs to be changed in the TV. Is anybody familiar enough with the Samsung DLP's to help me out? I would really appreciate it.

kluever, I have a Samsung DLP as well. I am currently using the 811 reciever with digital out to my home theatre system, but if I recall correctly, to get the sond that goes with the DVI, the RCA jacks need to go to the PC audio inputs on the back of the Sammy. Is this how you have it hooked up?

oak

I tried doing that and it didn't work. I exchanged the HDMI/DVI cable for a DVI/DVI and it works great. I'm not sure why they sold me the HDMI/DVI cable originally.

I have a Sony LCD projection with the HDMI and I connected a converter cable (from www.cablesnmor.com - great prices) to the DVI on the E* 811 along with the audio cables (analog w/RCA plugs). Played the first time out of the chute and every time since. Check your settings on the Samsung.

My daughter & son-in-law have 2 of the 50" DLP Sammies and are just crazy about them - no problems at all. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts